Author Topic: We're all punk rock artist!  (Read 131 times)

munboy

We're all punk rock artist!
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:00:46 AM »
Ok, not really, but there's a lot of parallels between us creative types whether its writing, music, or art. I love rock, but I'm not really into metal or hardrock, but I started watching this guy's channel because I happened across a great in depth analysis of why Green Day got so big. I love all his analyses. You can tell he has been in the metal scene a long time and puts a lot of time into creating his analyses of why certain bands got so big or why certain genres die.

But, to correlate metal to writing, I was intrigued by these two videos. The first, he breaks down signing with a label (traditional publishing) or releasing your own material on Spotify or soundcloud (self publishing). Very interesting points to consider when you think about it in terms of publishing. Great pros and cons.

In this video, he talks about Suicidal Tendencies entering a deal with Converse and how the band got big and stayed big for decades because of their branding. Again, good to think about as a writer and our brands...what we're putting forth to the public.

Even if you're not into rock at all, I'd suggest you watch his videos. There's a lot to learn about creating. For example, he made a video about how Bring Me the Horizon (a band I don't like at all) got big and how they're always 2 or 3 years ahead of everybody else. When other bands are copying their sound to get big, they've already moved on to a different sound. There's a lot to think about when you correlate it to writing and publishing.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:06:22 AM by munboy »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, VisitasKeat, Rosie Scott, angelapepper

angelapepper

Re: We're all punk rock artist!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:51:38 AM »
There's something to be said for getting in on a "new" sound ahead of the herd. But sometimes it feels like you're doing the wrong thing. For example, when the trend in romance was for angsty, heart-breaking new adult, I was writing comedic stuff. It felt very much like the wrong thing to do, and only a few of us were branding ourselves that way...but then within 2 years, the market had broadened so much and the "niche" of comedic smexy NA romance was suddenly mainstream.

I don't know if a person can expect to get in at the beginning of a trend more than once in a career, but it would be neat if it ever happened for me again.

munboy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:40:54 AM »
There's something to be said for getting in on a "new" sound ahead of the herd. But sometimes it feels like you're doing the wrong thing. For example, when the trend in romance was for angsty, heart-breaking new adult, I was writing comedic stuff. It felt very much like the wrong thing to do, and only a few of us were branding ourselves that way...but then within 2 years, the market had broadened so much and the "niche" of comedic smexy NA romance was suddenly mainstream.

I don't know if a person can expect to get in at the beginning of a trend more than once in a career, but it would be neat if it ever happened for me again.

That's true. You have to make sure you're riding at the front of the wave instead of picking up the scraps at the back...be able to anticipate what people will like. Sometimes you can nail it and be a surfing god...Sometimes, you pick the wrong wave and wipe out on a bunch of rocks.

angelapepper

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:59:57 AM »

That's true. You have to make sure you're riding at the front of the wave instead of picking up the scraps at the back...be able to anticipate what people will like. Sometimes you can nail it and be a surfing god...Sometimes, you pick the wrong wave and wipe out on a bunch of rocks.

Maybe there's a predictable cycle where every hot genre eventually births a subgenre with a comedic spin / lighter take on the same tropes.