Author Topic: Love him or hate him, what Stephen King has to say is worth reading  (Read 1666 times)

JRTomlin

One interesting quote:

"I feel that a first draft should take about four months, but that’s me. And I go over my work obsessively."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/07/stephen-king-interview-the-institute?fbclid=IwAR3HYzgs6tm3erPJHOkrcd5tjLJl9JmtKx4JMsjF1FAmBz4I2ShmxWkjuMQ
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:29:54 AM by JRTomlin »

She-la-te-da

Re: Love him or hate him, what Stephen King has to say is worth reading
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »
I think he should do what works for him, and others should do the same. Don't get me wrong, I love reading his work (except for that present tense stuff), but not everyone can be creative in the same way. It can take years to find out how we can best get the story down, with lots of false starts.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, Rosie Scott, The Masked Scrivener

JRTomlin

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:48:59 AM »
If you read the article, you would discover that is what he says.

The following users thanked this post: Greg Dragon

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
Maybe it's the way the article has been written and edited, but from the brevity of SK's answers and the slightly dismissive tone, you get a sense that he isn't enjoying the interview. Perhaps, after all these years, SK doesn't like his credibility still being questioned.

I think it's interesting, but largely irrelevant, how successful authors write. With the luxury of a large bank account, your craft being truly a full-time job, and never a question over whether or not the next book will sell a squillion — let alone be published — the mindset and work ethic is on another level.

But I'd like to give it a try...

JRTomlin

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
He sure didn't start out that way. Early on, he struggled as much as the rest of us and his success is deserved. His description in On Writing of his pretty desperate struggles early on when a royalty check meant being able to buy baby medicine (the pink stuff as he called it) really resonated with me when I was starting out.

I don't think short answers are necessarily dismissive, but that article wasn't intended as a 'how to' article. I just thought he had some interesting things to say. Even On Writing isn't particularly a 'how to write' book so much as a book on how to survive being a writer. He is grimly honest about his struggle with addiction in that as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 11:20:13 AM by JRTomlin »

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

Shoe

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »

I think it's interesting but largely irrelevant, how successful authors write.

I almost always pick up useful tips when reading about my favorite author's habits, routines, and processes. I don't think I've ever thought once about how much money they've made.

And I particularly enjoy learning about their favorite authors and the books that inspired them. My favorite regular feature in The Guardian is "Books That Made Me". Each new column usually has me immediately reading a dozen "Look Insides" and reserving books at the library.

Books That Made Me
https://www.theguardian.com/books/series/books-that-made-me
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: Azalea Ellis, fleurina

MaxDaemon

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
For some reason, King seems to make people angry. He IS an old curmudgeon these days, but he's still got a lot of good stuff.

On Writing pretty much kicked me into actually considering the possibility. Not for any real direction, but for the feeling it was possible. King wrote in the laundry room, f' gosh sakes. Probably with laundry running ..

And one thing that King says over and over is that you need to read to write. And I'd agree, On Writing wasn't a "teach me to write" book. Far more a "don't do what I did" for a goodly part of it. :-)

V.R. Tapscott | Electrik Ink

Jepson

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:11:13 PM »
I'm not a huge King fan, but I'm a far cry from hating the guy. He obviously has a lot to say and should be saying it.

jaykay

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 07:29:26 AM »
For some reason, King seems to make people angry. He IS an old curmudgeon these days, but he's still got a lot of good stuff.

On Writing pretty much kicked me into actually considering the possibility. Not for any real direction, but for the feeling it was possible. King wrote in the laundry room, f' gosh sakes. Probably with laundry running ..

And one thing that King says over and over is that you need to read to write. And I'd agree, On Writing wasn't a "teach me to write" book. Far more a "don't do what I did" for a goodly part of it. :-)

Same for me. It was just a huge inspiration/motivation to write and left me feeling I could do it.

Jade @ covertocoveredits

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 10:20:24 PM »
I agree, whether you like his books or not, Stephen King has enough experience to be a good well of knowledge and advice for writing. Same really goes for any established author, even if you don't read their genre, you can take their process or their insights and apply it to your own.
Jade
Cover to Cover -- Editing & Proofreading Services
jadewritesbooks@gmail.com

Looking for edits / proofreader? Thread here: https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=3011.0

PJ Post

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 01:09:25 AM »
I think it's interesting, but largely irrelevant, how successful authors write.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one when it comes to craft. I'm not influenced by the money, but rather by the success, which does, after all, come first. I believe that, regardless of the creative field, we have a lot to learn from those that came before us, especially the stuff they seem to have in common.

I like to think outside the box, even deny the box, but the box exists for a reason - it's usually full of best practices. And I'm always going to suggest that beginners spend a fair amount of time exploring them.

As for King, he seems like a good human with a genuine desire to share what he's learned, as well as encourage. Nice, light interview.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule