Author Topic: CANADIAN Writers' Support Thread  (Read 1195 times)

oganalp

Re: CANADIAN Writers' Support Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
Hey there!

Recently moved to Canada (about 15 months ago). Do you have any suggestions for any guilds, groups, associations, etc. to join? The ups and downs of these organizations, etc?

I attended to the Word on the Street at Toronto Harbourfront back on 23rd, but couldn't find much in this sense.

Oganalp Canatan | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

Denise

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:21 PM »
Hey there!

Recently moved to Canada (about 15 months ago). Do you have any suggestions for any guilds, groups, associations, etc. to join? The ups and downs of these organizations, etc?

I attended to the Word on the Street at Toronto Harbourfront back on 23rd, but couldn't find much in this sense.

I'm assuming you write fantasy. There's this association which is open to indies: http://www.sfcanada.org/

I know there are some smaller regional writers' groups, but I don't know much about them.

You can also check which associations are listed in the Writers' Coalition program, in case you want/need extended health insurance or just to check some more groups. https://www.writerscoalition.ca/guest

The following users thanked this post: oganalp

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2018, 04:20:16 AM »
ETA:  :mhk9U91: check this post. It has your old sig:  https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=64.msg2693#msg2693

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to convert it back from HTML to board format.

Rickie Blair

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »
Is anyone going to the Kobo Writing Life Indie Author Library Night in Toronto on Oct. 11?
It was mentioned in the last KWL blog (and on their website).

tired1680

• Tag Line unlocked
    • My Author Site
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
Reporting in from the real north (Whitehorse, YT). With RBC too. And love the ISBNs.

Eugene Lloyd MacRae

• Ready Player One
  • Epic Novel unlocked
  • Taking the world by storm - one story at a time.
    • The Writtings of Eugene Lloyd MacRae
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:47 AM »
Here is a link to the Writerís Union of Canada - this particular link is about ghostwriting and what you could make if youíre interested & someone likes your work https://www.writersunion.ca/ghostwriting

The following users thanked this post: ImaWriter, oganalp

oganalp

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 04:06:21 AM »
Is anyone going to the Kobo Writing Life Indie Author Library Night in Toronto on Oct. 11?

I won't be attending this as I have to give a Macroecon exam in the morning. Could you please share your thoughts if you attend?

Oganalp Canatan | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

Rickie Blair

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 04:17:34 AM »

I won't be attending this as I have to give a Macroecon exam in the morning. Could you please share your thoughts if you attend?

Sadly, I can't make it either.

littleauthor

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »
I have a question re: CreateSpace-KDP merge. I have royalties owing b/c being in Canada, I get a cheque when the USD hits $100, GBP 100 and Euro 100. I'm nowhere near 100 in GBP or Euro but the USD was close before the switch.
I emailed Amazon and asked what happens to those balances since I can't hit the magic 100 without sales on CS (cause the catalogue is moved). They said the balances have been shifted over to my KDP account and yes, they have. But they're in the months they were earned--months that have already been paid out by KDP.

At what point will Amazon pay the CS royalties? I assume they'll use direct deposit, but do they wait to hit the $100 mark? I don't get the accounting on this.
"Not working to her full potential."

EllieL

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »
Good question. I got paid via a Payoneer card that I'd used to set up my CS account. A whopping 2.25!
I'm sorry I don't have an answer. You may have to contact support to ask.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

The following users thanked this post: littleauthor

Denise

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
I have a question re: CreateSpace-KDP merge. I have royalties owing b/c being in Canada, I get a cheque when the USD hits $100, GBP 100 and Euro 100.

At what point will Amazon pay the CS royalties? I assume they'll use direct deposit, but do they wait to hit the $100 mark? I don't get the accounting on this.

I'm in the same situation. I'll wait for next month's KDP payments/reports, and I believe the CS royalties will be included then. The amounts are in previous months, but I think they'll pay them soon. Also, since KDP doesn't have a $100 minimum, they'll have pay right away (in one or two months). I'll wait a little to see what happens, and if they include them with the next payment.

I don't think they'll hold our payments forever because we didn't reach $100. If anything, that's one good thing about the CS/KDP merge; less waiting to get paid for paperback sales, at least for me because it takes me a while to reach $100.

Rickie Blair

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2018, 12:31:23 AM »
I questioned KDP about this very thing. Here's their somewhat confusing answer:

Yes, your unpaid CreateSpace royalties will be paid based on the KDP payment method.

Royalties earned through CreateSpace that do not meet the minimum threshold will move with your books and account information to KDP.

If you move from CreateSpace to KDP in September and your earned royalties are above the minimum threshold, you will receive your payments on the following schedule:

- August CreateSpace royalties will be paid at the end of September.
- September CreateSpace royalties will be paid at the end of October.
- September KDP royalties will be paid at the end of November.
- October KDP royalties will be paid at the end of December.
- November KDP royalties will be paid at the end of January.

To learn more about KDPís payment schedule and payment thresholds, check our Help page:
https://kdp.amazon.com/help/topic/G200641050

I moved my books early this month. My "prior month's royalties" in KDP show a small CS payment for September, below CS's normal payment threshold. But my CS dashboard still shows royalties owing.

So, I'm baffled. Maybe I'll get another payment at the end of this month? Who knows?

littleauthor

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2018, 03:41:32 AM »
Yes, that's pretty much what they told me too. I made the move on Sept 14. I've been accruing royalties throughout the year on CS and now I see those CS royalties listed in the months they were earned in in the KDP reports. (They're still listed in my CS account too so that's bewildering.)

Based on that email they sent Rickie, I'm guessing everything I've earned through CS should be paid this month cause those royalties were earned at the beginning of the year. My last sale was in August. Nothing has come in since the move. Could be a nice boost. I had given up ever meeting the threshold to get the GBP or Euro royalties.  :hehe

"Not working to her full potential."

Desomond X. Torres

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
Just stopping in to say 'Yo'...
Transplanted NY'er, moved here 32 years ago. I live in Kingston, ON and loving every minute. My wife and I got involved w/Indie pubbing back in 2012 when I found out just how much of a PITA it would be to submit and go the trad pub route with my first MS. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was sooo naive back then... visions of Oprah's Book Club danced in my head, but I didn't have a clue on story structure! LOL (@ moi)

Currently, we pub under my wife's name, along w/ some other stuff. It's been a ride. The learning curve in this gig is so steep, esp when you're in your 60's and not super savvy re the internet.

We now do this full time. The $$'s okay. Not a member of the five figure club by any stretch, but there's plenty of good times at half that. If I knew how much work it would take when I started I never would have begun. If I knew how rewarding it was going to be, I'd have started twenty years ago! LOL

Enjoy the process everyone!

Rhett Gervais

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:28 PM »
Bonjour de Montrťal!

Glad to meet some of my fellow crazy Canucks :)

angelapepper

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »
Hello, fellow keeners! Greetings from the soggy west coast.