Author Topic: Does anybody format their texts in their text to look like texts on their phone?  (Read 199 times)

notthatamanda

So my characters are texting. I'm trying to make it look like a text does, using styles.
The left justified are easy. The right justified are fine, unless it goes to a second line.

Example

Whas up?
                                                         Nothing.
What do you want to do later?
         Well I would say I would do something with       
         you but...                                                       <Should look like this.>
But what?
          I know you've been cheating on me with that
                                                           skank Gina     <Ends up looking like this.>

Any ideas?  I'm guessing I'm going to have to custom format the texts that get too long, each one. Save me, somebody. Thanks.

Leegreg

Iíve tried. It worked okay. I struggle with the way it looked when testing on a phone app, ironically. Pretty much for the reason you said. Short texts were fine, long not so much. I ended up rewriting the long ones into shorter ones rather than figure out how to fix the formatting.  Sorry.

Iíve also used bold or italics formatting. Which worked okay as well.

I do wonder if the ebook format supports enough css that it would be possible to duplicate a real text screen. But Iíve never gone that far into the weeds. Yet.

notthatamanda

Thanks for trying to help. I don't even know what CSS is.  I might just leave it. I wonder too if what works in one platform might get hinky in another one.

Gessert Books

• Tag Line unlocked
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
For what it's worth, I suspect your example could possibly be broken in some cases by readers changing their justification settings in their app or device. If you did try this via CSS, your issue would be partly resolved by setting a padding-left or margin-left value on those paragraphs rather than doing it via justification, but even that won't be perfect because it won't throw your shorter messages all the way to the right. They'll just push over by whatever that value is set to.

Code: [Select]

<p class="sender">Nothing.</p>

Code: [Select]

.sender {
  padding-left: 30%;
}

I wonder too if what works in one platform might get hinky in another one.

This is definitely the case.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:38:23 AM by Gessert Books »

notthatamanda

Thank you.  This is very helpful as I won't bother fussing with it too much. For print my formatter can make it perfect.

RPatton

I've tried several formatting options and finally resorted to italics with using a texted tag/descriptive. In the long run, it will work across all devices and is harder to break.

The hardest part with doing highly custom work is you'll have to add exceptions for all devices. Older Kindles have to have special formatting in the CSS to accommodate. It's one of the reasons I prefer raised caps at chapter starts, I don't have to play with device specific formatting.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

notthatamanda

Thanks RPatton.

What do you mean by texted tag? Sometimes I put in:

Jack decided to text Jill.

Wasup?

Is it that simple, like dialogue tags or are you talking about something else.

RPatton

Just that.

Jack pulled his phone out and sent a text to Jill. My crown's healed. Wanna go back up the hill?

A few seconds later the his phone vibrated. Sure. What time?

The only time I've deviated is when I have an entire chapter of texts back and forth and in that case I went to a script format after using the first paragraph to introduce the scene. In that case, I used something like this.

Jack woke up feeling a hundred times better. After a shower, he checked under the bandage. His broken crown was only half as broken as before. Maybe he could venture out with Jill later. He grabbed his phone and opened his messaging app.

Jack: My crown's less broken.
Jill: Really? That's great.
Jack: Wanna go to the hill later?
Jill: What's later? I have a lunch date.
Jack: Replaced me already?

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

notthatamanda

Thanks for the help and taking the time to type it all up for me.

Laughing Elephant

Just that.

Jack pulled his phone out and sent a text to Jill. My crown's healed. Wanna go back up the hill?

A few seconds later the his phone vibrated. Sure. What time?

The only time I've deviated is when I have an entire chapter of texts back and forth and in that case I went to a script format after using the first paragraph to introduce the scene. In that case, I used something like this.

Jack woke up feeling a hundred times better. After a shower, he checked under the bandage. His broken crown was only half as broken as before. Maybe he could venture out with Jill later. He grabbed his phone and opened his messaging app.

Jack: My crown's less broken.
Jill: Really? That's great.
Jack: Wanna go to the hill later?
Jill: What's later? I have a lunch date.
Jack: Replaced me already?

Jack, Snow White's free and says 'Hi."

(Enjoyed the story so much, I just had to   :roll: )

The following users thanked this post: RPatton

idontknowyet

So my characters are texting. I'm trying to make it look like a text does, using styles.
The left justified are easy. The right justified are fine, unless it goes to a second line.

Example

Whas up?
                                                         Nothing.
What do you want to do later?
         Well I would say I would do something with       
         you but...                                                       <Should look like this.>
But what?
          I know you've been cheating on me with that
                                                           skank Gina     <Ends up looking like this.>

Any ideas?  I'm guessing I'm going to have to custom format the texts that get too long, each one. Save me, somebody. Thanks.

in my word doc so far it works if I switch left and right justifying. then I enter after every 3-4 words this way there is no overlap.

notthatamanda

Thanks. For print my formatter recommended a bold sans serif font and we didn't worry about the justifying. I probably will just go with bold for it in the Ebook.