Author Topic: My Rant about Newsletter Automation  (Read 497 times)

LilyBLily

My Rant about Newsletter Automation
« on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
The concept makes my head hurt. I've read Newsletter Ninja and other screeds and first I've got to do this and then I've got to do that and then I must do some other thing, all to woo readers. And give them cookies and ask them questions and bah, humbug.

This concept is about the only reason I'd want to be traditionally published--so no one would rationally expect me to woo readers. They'd expect me to do lots of social media and be nice to readers and pay for my own ads, but they would not expect wooing.

I expend a lot of energy writing these stories. I really don't have much left for this kind of dance. When it comes right down to it, no author becomes an autobuy on the strength of wooing or a cookie. They become autobuys when the books are pleasurable to readers and consistent in tone and content so readers know the next book will have more of the same they liked before. And that's it.

Rant over.

Jessica

Re: My Rant about Newsletter Automation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:50:58 AM »
Think about the newsletter not as a cookie but a bait, and your readers are the fishes you want to catch and bind to you while you prepare the next new shiny thing (= novel) for them. There are a lot of shiny things in this pond, in fact so many that readers/ buyers can afford to have the memory of a goldfish and still find stuff to chew on. So if you're going to fish without bait, your catch will go for the bait of your "friendly" neighbour and forget about you.

All weird talk about fishing aside, I think the same sometimes. But then again, I work in retail in my dayjob and giving out cookies now and then is just business to me. Although, sometimes, I am really thankful for (some of) our costumers and beeing nice to them with a special cookie as a thank you makes me also feel good.
Avatar Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash