Author Topic: Amazon is discounting my ebook because they put me in a promotion  (Read 201 times)

notthatamanda

I haven't kept good track of it with all the goings on, but Amazon had reduced the price on my psych thriller. I figured they were price matching but I was too frazzled to worry about it. They reduced the price again and I had author central call me to tell me who they were price matching to, so I could straighten it out. They said it's not a price match, it's an internal amazon promotion and they are still paying me the full royalty. I'll need to wait for the monthly reports to verify that.

This is a new one, I guess I could have missed an email if they sent it out to a lot of people and it ended up in my spam folder.

David VanDyke

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Re: Amazon is discounting my ebook because they put me in a promotion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 06:55:57 AM »
Seems like a win-win.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 07:08:37 AM »
Seems like a win-win.

This.  I should be so lucky.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:34:27 AM »
I'm not complaining, I just wanted to make people aware it was happening and see if they ever had it happen before.

I've sold six copies of the book this month. Frankly if I had to guess I would figure they are just trying to finish out the case of paperbacks and Large Print that they bought. Those have been reduced for a while.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:20 AM »
I've heard of it happening before.  I'm not in the habit of checking my prices on a regular basis, so if it's ever happened to me, I'm unaware of it.

Interesting that they're discounting both the ebook and the print versions, assuming I'm reading your comments correctly.  Sounds like they really want to move copies of your book for whatever reason.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »
They want the print copies gone, they bought a case. I think they are just discounting the ebook to bring whatever attention they could to it. It is a good thing, it is my psych thriller and I put the preview for my psych thriller coming in April in it. But I don't expect to move a lot of copies given the state of the world right now.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
I haven't kept good track of it with all the goings on, but Amazon had reduced the price on my psych thriller. I figured they were price matching but I was too frazzled to worry about it. They reduced the price again and I had author central call me to tell me who they were price matching to, so I could straighten it out. They said it's not a price match, it's an internal amazon promotion and they are still paying me the full royalty. I'll need to wait for the monthly reports to verify that.

This is a new one, I guess I could have missed an email if they sent it out to a lot of people and it ended up in my spam folder.

They've been doing that for as long as I can remember and everyone freaks out when it happens to them. Yes, they do indeed pay you the full 70%,

On my new ebook (McShane's Bride - the Dotsero Train Wreck) is a pop offering  a $10.00 discount on mine or any other ebook. Wow, hope readers choose mine. First time I've seen that and I bet I'll still get paid my cut.
Author of over 50 full length historical and mystery novels.
martitalbott.com

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:12 PM »
They are now discounting it below what they are supposed to be paying me.  Very strange.
What could possibly be the motivation for that? Or is it just a glitchy algo?

Marti Talbott

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:42 PM »
They are now discounting it below what they are supposed to be paying me.  Very strange.
What could possibly be the motivation for that? Or is it just a glitchy algo?

Maybe they're feeling the pinch that movie streaming is causing for us all. You should be able to run a report to see what they are paying you. Amazon can certainly afford to take a loss.
martitalbott.com

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:05:59 PM »
Yes I will check the monthly report when it comes out.  I'm not worried about that, it's just weird to me. They order my paper books by the case and I can see them discounting those to a loss to get rid of physical inventory. But what is it about my book that makes them pick and ebook to sell at a loss.  Again, not complaining, just curious about the reasoning behind it.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 11:15:01 PM »
Yes I will check the monthly report when it comes out.  I'm not worried about that, it's just weird to me. They order my paper books by the case and I can see them discounting those to a loss to get rid of physical inventory. But what is it about my book that makes them pick and ebook to sell at a loss.  Again, not complaining, just curious about the reasoning behind it.

I have no idea how they choose. I just checked a few or mine and none are discounted. However, some of my cover arts are blank. It's probably a bandwidth problem. My sales are practically nonexistent including my KU reads. No reviews on my new book so I moved it into KU this morning hoping to at least get a few reviews.
martitalbott.com

Marti Talbott

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 11:29:28 PM »
Under the price of my books it says:

Kindle
$0.00
Claim your $10 Kindle credit
Read with Kindle Unlimited to also enjoy access to over 1 million more titles
$4.99 to buy

That's new.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084H4Z23C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p6_i5
martitalbott.com

notthatamanda

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 12:24:48 AM »
Oh sorry, I wasn't asking you specifically, just wondering. Trying to think about something different for a change.

Now I already own that particular book of mine, so I went to a random book I don't own and I don't get a $10 kindle credit offer.

So I guess you merit that. ;)

Marti Talbott

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 12:31:52 AM »
Oh sorry, I wasn't asking you specifically, just wondering. Trying to think about something different for a change.

Now I already own that particular book of mine, so I went to a random book I don't own and I don't get a $10 kindle credit offer.

So I guess you merit that. ;)

I feel so special, lol. I didn't think you were asking me specifically. I just added that as a point of interest.
martitalbott.com