Author Topic: New Audible changes with Promo codes  (Read 601 times)

RPatton

New Audible changes with Promo codes
« on: March 27, 2020, 08:22:19 AM »
Any books published after 3/26 won't get royalties on promo codes.

They are limiting the number of codes (50 per US and UK Marketplace).

25 additional codes per marketplace after 10 codes are redeemed and 100 sales.

I have no problem with this, but I am sure there will be people complaining.

Lynn

Re: New Audible changes with Promo codes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
Paying out for the promo codes made very little sense anyway. I definitely think this is for the best.
Don't rush me.

Denise

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 12:18:42 PM »
It's definitely for the best, but there are a few problems.

- Low-selling audiobooks will only get 25 codes. You know how review rates, are, right? So some audiobooks will have only some 10 reviews, at least in the beginning. [Edit: it's up to 25 codes for producers with fewer than 100 sales across their catalogue. So this will affect only new audiobook producers or very low-selling authors]

- Some authors / narrators were counting with the income from codes to recover their investment. If they at least had known it in advance, they could have decided to do things differently. But then, if they had announced it there would be a wild rush to do audiobooks.

- I think the delays were just an excuse while they waited for the new system. I wish they weren't delaying so much and they had taken this decision earlier.

Now the advantages:

- Authors giving away audiobooks like candy were devaluing audiobooks. When the whole thing with those sites for "grab a code"  got big started, I noticed it was harder to even get reviewers.

So it's overall a good thing, it's just sad that it got people unaware. I'm not sorry for the scammers, though. I'm glad they won't be able to profit from the system anymore.

One additional issue was that there were some listeners used to getting audio freebies. These listeners might go to Chirp, for example, for affordable audiobooks. This might affect Audible and ACX. This can be good or bad, depending on where you stand.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:55:34 AM by Denise »

Anarchist

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
I'm surprised to hear they were paying royalties on books downloaded with promo codes.

Seems like that practice is just begging to be exploited.
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong." - Thomas Sowell

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: mk31333, The Masked Scrivener

Denise

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:21:06 PM »
I'm surprised to hear they were paying royalties on books downloaded with promo codes.

Seems like that practice is just begging to be exploited.

Oh , yeah, scammers started producing low quality books just over 3 hours, then giving the codes to "code farms" to be retrieved (I guess they didn't even listen to the audiobooks).

It was horrible.

My understanding was that ACX was doing this (paying royalties on codes) to encourage authors to give codes away to "spread the magic of audiobooks"  (literally their words). I think it was part of their strategy into increasing the audiobook market. I think it worked. I gave them mostly to reviewers, but some of them were listening to audiobooks for the first time. 

This change will cause huge changes to the indie audiobook landscape. I think this is good for people considering Findaway Voices, and excellent for Chirp.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 12:26:53 AM »
Were they getting the bounties on those codes too? Wasn't that like 50 bucks a pop?

Denise

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 12:53:45 AM »
Were they getting the bounties on those codes too? Wasn't that like 50 bucks a pop?

No. No bounties for the codes. I wish.  grint

But I still think the royalties for codes were meant to increase the audiobook market and Audible's market share.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 03:09:23 AM »

No. No bounties for the codes. I wish.  grint

But I still think the royalties for codes were meant to increase the audiobook market and Audible's market share.

Oh, absolutely, without a doubt. They knew the "usual suspects" would scam the system with junk content. They let it run its inevitable course until the increases in subscribers leveled off. Probably straight from the Kindle Unlimited playbook.

Here's a neat idea: there will be more of these new programs. They're probably cooking them up right now.

But maybe we authors are benefiting from it, ultimately. If you make audiobooks, there's now a larger market of people interested in them. We are reaching consumers who don't read ebooks but will read on their commutes.

Good? Bad? Who knows!

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Denise

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 05:19:29 AM »

Here's a neat idea: there will be more of these new programs. They're probably cooking them up right now.

That's a hopeful thought.

I hope they give authors /narrators other incentives to remain exclusive with ACX and to point their readers to Audible.

Edit: LOL I know how they're getting new listeners:

https://www.audible.com/ep/FreeListens

I think their new expansion strategy is bypassing us, indies. Not sure if there were free audiobooks before.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:52:57 AM by Denise »

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 05:52:22 AM »

I hope they give authors /narrators other incentives to remain exclusive with ACX and to point their readers to Audible.

Oh, I meant programs that will increase their market share while encouraging scams with lopsided incentives.

Second inflammatory statement: What are the chances these new promo codes will continue to pay out despite the announcement? Think about it. Why are they limiting the quantity NOW that the codes allegedly won't pay out? Shouldn't they increase the quantity if there's no additional cost to them?

Denise

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 05:58:30 AM »

Oh, I meant programs that will increase their market share while encouraging scams with lopsided incentives.

Second inflammatory statement: What are the chances these new promo codes will continue to pay out despite the announcement? Think about it. Why are they limiting the quantity NOW that the codes allegedly won't pay out? Shouldn't they increase the quantity if there's no additional cost to them?

They are limiting for existing audiobooks,too,  the ones that are getting paid. I think it was too much money going down the drain and they had to stop.

I think it's possible they'll decide to give us more codes once most authors have used up their limited amount of paying codes.

And yes, they want a large market share. Knowing Amazon, I think ideally they want some kind of monopoly.

They might start another program like Audible Escape, but with better payment.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 05:11:02 AM »

They are limiting for existing audiobooks,too,  the ones that are getting paid. I think it was too much money going down the drain and they had to stop.

I think it's possible they'll decide to give us more codes once most authors have used up their limited amount of paying codes.

And yes, they want a large market share. Knowing Amazon, I think ideally they want some kind of monopoly.

They might start another program like Audible Escape, but with better payment.

They paid for the old codes (before last year's change) while stating they did not. It didn't blow up, because there was no way to guarantee people taking the codes used them on your books. Back then, the scammers sold the codes on eBay etc., but it wasn't as widespread. The new code system was designed to be exploited in exactly the manner that it has been.

These things don't happen by any accident at all. 

Denise

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 06:22:27 AM »

They paid for the old codes (before last year's change) while stating they did not. It didn't blow up, because there was no way to guarantee people taking the codes used them on your books. Back then, the scammers sold the codes on eBay etc., but it wasn't as widespread. The new code system was designed to be exploited in exactly the manner that it has been.

These things don't happen by any accident at all.

Oh, yes, I agree they wanted to increase audiobook production and wanted authors giving codes to their list, etc.

But I think what they didn't expect were the code farms, and people producing trash content, paying 50/h just to get the codes redeemed and make some quick cash.

In the reddit for narrators they mention a lot those scammy projects... I think it was quite widespread.

The following users thanked this post: angela

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 03:34:51 AM »

Oh, yes, I agree they wanted to increase audiobook production and wanted authors giving codes to their list, etc.

But I think what they didn't expect were the code farms, and people producing trash content, paying 50/h just to get the codes redeemed and make some quick cash.

In the reddit for narrators they mention a lot those scammy projects... I think it was quite widespread.

We'll never know what they discuss in their boardrooms.

The only thing that surprised me was how long it took the scammers to mobilize and overwhelm the system to the point where ACX decided to cut the incentive.

But I have a prediction the codes will continue to pay out. Why else would they reduce the numbers?

This is the equivalent of the 3000 KENPC cap.

The up-side is the audiobook market is growing, and people are reading more books, which I like a lot.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
Worth noting that extra codes can be requested after 10 of your initial codes have been redeemed and 100 qualified sales of your file catalogue. Which suggests that if you already have a total of 100 sales from previous books that's a moot condition.
For mine, the lack of a royalty payment puts a big dent in the appeal of going exclusive and thus getting codes. But there's not a hell of a lot of other promotional options.

Denise

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »
Worth noting that extra codes can be requested after 10 of your initial codes have been redeemed and 100 qualified sales of your file catalogue. Which suggests that if you already have a total of 100 sales from previous books that's a moot condition.
For mine, the lack of a royalty payment puts a big dent in the appeal of going exclusive and thus getting codes. But there's not a hell of a lot of other promotional options.

100 qualified sales of your file catalogue is easy peasy, I mean... You don't have to be a big seller.  If it's true, I think it's fine. New audiobook producers will suffer for the first titles, but they'll soon be fine.

I was thinking they wanted 100 qualified sales from an audiobook before giving more codes. If you consider that the codes are for early reviews, which is usually used right after launch, most indies wouldn't be able to benefit from more than 25 codes until it wasn't very useful or relevant anymore.

Edit: just confirmed that I can get more than 25 codes for each market. Yay!

To your second point, I still think that it's better to get the Audible codes because Audible is still the biggest store, and you want your reviews to show up there. Without going exclusive and getting the codes, you'll have fewer reviews on Audible. Then again, I'm not so sure how much reviews influence buyers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:00:32 AM by Denise »