Author Topic: Proof, Edit, Beta: Editing services from $4 per 1,000 words; free sample edit  (Read 1106 times)

ProofEditBeta

• Tag Line unlocked
Hi there!

I am an experienced editor and I have recently become freelance, offering my services directly to authors. I'm British, but I am experienced in editing US English.

I offer three different services, depending on your needs:

Proofread ($4 per 1,000 words): This is intended to be a final polish for an already edited manuscript.

Edit ($8 per 1,000 words): A comprehensive edit, looking at the clarity, style and flow of your writing as well as spelling and grammar.

Beta ($10 per 1,000 words): This includes a full edit as standard. I provide comments from a reader's perspective, noting strengths and issues with characterization, plot, pace and anything else relating to the content of your manuscript. I am a keen reader of many genres and have provided beta reading services for authors of romance, women's fiction, science fiction, travel writing and non-fiction.

I offer a free, no-obligation sample edit of up to 2,000 words. This will ensure you are comfortable with my work before hiring me, and it should help you decide which level of editing you require.

You can find further details about my services on my site: proofeditbeta.com.

If you would like to request a sample edit, or if you have any queries you can use the form on my site or email me at kate@proofeditbeta.com.

Cheers!

LilyBLily

Hello and welcome. I'm wondering if you are conflating beta reading with manuscript evaluation or developmental editing or even copyediting, as your price for beta reading exceeds your other prices. Most beta readers I deal with charge a lot less than an editor would and they don't do the editorial tasks you list on your website as part of the beta read, either. I'm not saying you are wrong to charge what you feel is fair or even to call your service what you want to call it, but perhaps beta is misleading as it is commonly understood in indie world.

Here's what I ask of a beta reader:

1. Does the story flow or is the pacing off?
2. What sticks out as the wrong tone or action or as unbelievable?
3. Are characters appealing? Why not?

That's about it. Usually there are comments at the end of a chapter or possibly in line, and there's a brief overview.

I don't think my requirements from a beta reader are unusual. I do not want a beta reader to mess with my grammar, spelling, punctuation, or research. I want a reader's reaction to the story, not an editor's. For that I've paid anywhere between $25 (I told her to double her prices immediately) and $150 for a 50k ms. and more for a longer ms. I usually hire three people to beta read each ms. because I'm looking for consensus opinions that mirror what readers who pay to buy my book would say. 

Just some thoughts about your use of the term "beta reader." 

The following users thanked this post: ProofEditBeta

ProofEditBeta

• Tag Line unlocked
Hi there!

Thanks for your message. I've only recently started freelancing, so you are probably right that I haven't got the descriptions quite right.

The beta service I provide is a Beta & Edit combined, for $10 per 1,000 words, so it's $2 per 1,000 words above an edit alone. I've done it this way because my experience to date has been that authors have requested both services together; however this is my first time advertising my freelance services outside of my usual contacts so I may well need to separate those out completely. I have mentioned in my FAQs that I can provide a beta edit alone, but for a higher price than you've suggested so I will definitely have a think about that.

As for what's included in my beta read, I would say that I go a little beyond the three questions you pose, but not enough to describe it as a developmental edit. Unless an author gives specific guidance, I also comment  on character development, advise where a theme may be amplified a little more, and make general suggestions as they occur to me while I read. If an author requests that I narrow my focus to specific questions, of course I'd be happy to do that. I beta read the manuscript before editing, so the author can make any changes.

I hope that all makes sense, this was useful feedback and I'm definitely going to look at my service levels as a result. Thanks!

LilyBLily

Maybe call it "Enhanced Beta Reading" or "Beta Reading Plus."

I should mention that there are authors paying more than I do for straight beta reading--and some paying nothing, because they have friends or relatives who consistently read for them. Shop around and see; it may turn out that your prices are right in line with the higher end of beta reading plus you're providing additional value. You'd want to emphasize that.

Anyway, good luck.

The following users thanked this post: ProofEditBeta