Author Topic: Best marketing there is  (Read 312 times)

Luke Everhart

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
Best marketing there is
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
From the ranking's cellar to the top. New indie author hits the marketing jackpot.

Yesterday, Rush Limbaugh talked a few minutes about a new indie author's book "False Assurances". It's the 1st book in a new thriller series ("Ben Porter Series") and the author is debut indie author Christopher Rosow.

Christopher’s dad apparently golfs with James Patterson from time to time and took the manuscript to him and asked him to read it. Patterson enjoyed it and gave Rosen a blurb quote for the book. But it didn't go any further than that and Rosen decided to self publish. He did so back on May 4th.
Despite the positive quote from Patterson, as of yesterday the book was still languishing at #268,000ish in the paid rankings.
But Patterson reading it did start the ball rolling because he mentioned it to Rush. They golf together.
Rush read it and loved it.
Then Rush brought it up on his show yesterday.
Today, it's #1 paid in the kindle store.

Unfortunately for me, I'm almost certain Rush doesn't read urban fantasy...  :icon_sad:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:48:45 AM by Luke Everhart »
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Best marketing there is
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:10 AM »
From the ranking's cellar to the top. New indie author hits the marketing jackpot.

Yesterday, Rush Limbaugh talked a few minutes about a new indie author's book "False Assurances". It's the 1st book in a new thriller series ("Ben Porter Series") and the author is debut indie author Christopher Rosow.

Christopher’s dad apparently golfs with James Patterson from time to time and took the manuscript to him and asked him to read it. Patterson enjoyed it and gave Rosen a blurb quote for the book. But it didn't go any further than that and Rosen decided to self publish. He did so back on May 4th.
Despite the positive quote from Patterson, as of yesterday the book was still languishing at #268,000ish in the paid rankings.
But Patterson reading it did start the ball rolling because he mentioned it to Rush. They golf together.

Unfortunately for me, I'm almost certain Rush doesn't read urban fantasy...  :icon_sad:
But does your dad golf with James Patterson? Let's not forget the first step in the chain.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

j tanner

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 01:04:54 AM »
My dad golfed with a guy named James.

So close...

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Luke Everhart

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:33:58 AM »

But does your dad golf with James Patterson? Let's not forget the first step in the chain.

Well, no, but since Patterson's role was just passing on the recommendation to Rush, I'm chalking him up as an unnecessary middle man. The entire bump from 268,000ish rank to #1 came within 24 hours of Rush talking about the book, in glowing terms, on his show.
...Unfortunately that doesn't leave me any closer to getting the Golden EIB microphone on my side though 😞

But it's a very cool story nonetheless (the endorsement and bump not the book itself which I haven't read).

It reminds me of the account I read of how Tom Clancy's first novel caught the attention of president Ronald Reagan and turned the debut author, who only got $5000 for his first book "Hunt for Red October" and was still selling insurance for a living, into a mega-seller.
The story of it (and more)👇
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/02/tom-clancy-dies-aged-66
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

Indiecognito

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 05:46:53 AM »
Not gonna comment on my feelings for Rush.

But I will say this: most authors who are (especially wildly) successful who deny the role that luck plays in their success are either lying to themselves or to others.

I say this as someone who rode the coattails of another very successful author via Amazon's algorithms for a good long time, had to spend zero on advertising, and easily earned enough to buy a house in cash over the course of a year, purely based on that free advertising.

Was it a good book? Sure, it was fine. But I've written far better books that have sold far less since then.

My point is: authors, don't beat yourselves up if you're not selling. Sometimes it's merely a problem of visibility. Sometimes it's not.

But not everyone hits the visibility jackpot.

The following users thanked this post: Splunge, HyeonIn, selyons

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trilogy unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2616
    • The Hunter Legacy Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
But I will say this: most authors who are (especially wildly) successful who deny the role that luck plays in their success are either lying to themselves or to others.

I say this as someone who rode the coattails of another very successful author via Amazon's algorithms for a good long time, had to spend zero on advertising, and easily earned enough to buy a house in cash over the course of a year, purely based on that free advertising.

I was lucky like that in 2018.

One thing I noticed was when your book is the first one on the also-boughts slider on a book which is #1 in your main category, then you get a lot of flow through from that. Even just on their first page of a slider will do it.

Unfortunately, the way Amazon keeps changing things is making this kind of thing less likely. I blame the pay to play mentality.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Splunge

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
Not gonna comment on my feelings for Rush.

Was it a good book? Sure, it was fine. But I've written far better books that have sold far less since then.

My point is: authors, don't beat yourselves up if you're not selling. Sometimes it's merely a problem of visibility. Sometimes it's not.

But not everyone hits the visibility jackpot.

I agree with you, but say that and boy do feathers get ruffled.

Griffin + Gambol

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
I agree with you, but say that and boy do feathers get ruffled.

I don't understand why that is. Luck and connections affect every important part of modern life I can think of, and it's not like you can get by on those two things alone when it comes to pleasing any market. Your book has to be good enough for the luck to pay off in the long run. It's an observation not a slight.