Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 11654 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2019, 05:40:07 AM »
I proudly claim to be the only person in England who never saw either of the Poldark series on the BBC, but I started reading Winston Graham's books a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked. I'm on the fifth one now and have a feeling I'll have to buy the DVDs, which I understand are fairly true to the books. It's not just the characters, the drama and the romance, but also the setting. Cornwall is a beautiful, wild place (I've visited it many times) and Graham really makes it come alive.

I watched the original Poldark on PBS. Wonderful series.

You might want to read Penmarric by Susan Howatch (my favorite author) set in Cornwall against the Cornish tin mines. It's the story of Henry II in the person of Mark Castellack including Eleanor and their sons, with England represented by the manor house of Penmarric. It's the first one of hers I read but Cashelmara is my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Penmarric-Susan-Howatch-ebook/dp/B009DA5FXU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Penmarric&qid=1569440174&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »
I have started on "We Hunt the Flame" by Hafsah Faizal.
I had to get used to the more formal language after reading a loooot of Terry Pratchett lately, but both the characters and the story seem really interesting!

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »
That photo is meme-worthy.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
That photo is meme-worthy.   :icon_mrgreen:

I started taking pictures of my owl with the books I read this year (everyone needs a hobby, right...?) and there have been some great ones, simply because that feathery little beast always looks so murderous  grint

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »
Yeah, I checked out your site and saw some of the photos.  You should start an Artemis thread.  He's cool as hell.   :cool:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #255 on: September 26, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
Yeah, I checked out your site and saw some of the photos.  You should start an Artemis thread.  He's cool as hell.   :cool:

Shh! Don't let him hear you. His ego is big enough as it is.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Vijaya

« Reply #256 on: September 26, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »
I have started on "We Hunt the Flame" by Hafsah Faizal.
I had to get used to the more formal language after reading a loooot of Terry Pratchett lately, but both the characters and the story seem really interesting!

What a great picture! How I'd love to have him next to my book. Forget the Bestseller Code, which I've just begun. It's already fascinating.

Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2019, 04:59:25 AM »
I enjoyed Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. I haven't seen the series. I'm currently reading The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz Williams. I quite like it.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2019, 06:20:54 AM »
Yesterday I finished “Prudence” by Gail Carriger, the first “Custard Protocol” book. It was so fun to get back to the Parasolverse! Rue’s a fun character, there’s new shapeshifters, and it was all so joyful to read.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #259 on: October 05, 2019, 03:57:05 AM »
I enjoyed Beatriz Williams's Tiny Little Thing, the 2nd in the Schuyler (Amazon and Overdrive has it listed as Schuler) Sisters trilogy.

I'm currently reading two novels, one on my Kindle, one in paperback:  Erin A. Craig's House of Salt and Sorrows, an interesting take on The Twelve Dancing Princesses fairytale and Chanel Cleeton's Next Year in Havana.  Both are really good so far.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2019, 04:02:24 AM »

Years ago, when that was first showing on TV, my mum used to send my brother & I outside each week with strict instructions to stay there unless there was a broken bone or something.

WIP

>
>
>
>
>

Also

yWriter
(Mac/PC/Android/IOS)

and

SalesScanner (PC)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »

Years ago, when that was first showing on TV, my mum used to send my brother & I outside each week with strict instructions to stay there unless there was a broken bone or something.

Would have done it to my kids if I'd thought of it, too. But then I had girls. Not as boisterous and I could watch in peace.

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2019, 05:17:35 AM »
Yesterday I finished “Imprudence” by Gail Carriger, the second Custard Protocol book. Another fun read! A little more action and romance this time, and more about the world.

dgcasey

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
Just another Alex Cross book.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

RobertLCollins

• Short Story unlocked
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
Yesterday I finished The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl by Theodora Goss, the third book in her Athena Club trilogy. I really enjoyed the book! The characters were as interesting as they had been. The plot moved along quite quickly. There were even some new references to Victorian fiction. It was such a fun read.

Vijaya

« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2019, 06:44:25 AM »
On Writing Well by Zinsser. It *is* such a classic. I love what he says about enjoyment in the craft.

Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #266 on: October 29, 2019, 06:16:13 PM »
Currently rereading "Witches Abroad" by Terry Pratchett. The cover of my collector's edition felt Halloween-appropiate  grint

(Yes, you're getting another owl photo)

elleoco

« Reply #267 on: October 29, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »
I finished Charles Todd's A Cruel Deception (11th in mystery series about WWI nurse) a couple of days ago and when I realized I hadn't put it in the proper collection, went searching by Author in the T's on my Kindle.

That had me scrolling past Albert Payson Terhune's Lad: A Dog. I downloaded that some time ago in a fit of nostalgia when I saw it available but in truth thought I'd never read it. I read probably every one of Terhune's dog stories in my teens, which is to say more than 50 years ago, and figured none of those books would hold my attention today. To prove it, I started reading, and yes, there's archaic language and attitudes - towards dogs, towards people - but darned if I didn't read every page. Even puddled up some over the last chapter.

Also in the T's is Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar, which I've read a good many times over the years, and now again. People who don't reread say there's no reason after the first time when you find out what happens, but I reread a lot to revisit places and characters that charmed me the first time and continue to charm each time. Brat Farrar remains one of those books for me.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #268 on: October 29, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »
Currently rereading "Witches Abroad" by Terry Pratchett. The cover of my collector's edition felt Halloween-appropiate  grint

(Yes, you're getting another owl photo)
How perfect is this!
I could try doing this with my budgies but somehow I don't think the effect would be quite the same :)

I'm reading "Dumplin" by Julie Murphy and really loving it. Am on a bit of  YA reading binge. Also enjoyed reading Cathy Cassidy's "Chocolate Box Girls" series. the books look rather twee and cute, but they are actually quite solid and emotionally honest. The sibling rivalry and other goings on feels real and I found myself really caring about the characters.
Genres: Contemporary Fantasy and Science Fiction

Blog

oganalp

« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2019, 06:39:11 AM »
I am halfway through Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. I am enjoying it so far. It lacks an iconic character like Glokta, but still fun to read.

Oganalp Canatan | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

notthatamanda

« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »
Erma and Julie!!! Love them both.
I just found out Julie Andrews has a new autobiography out.  It's called "Home Work".  I put it on my list at the library, I'm #59 in line. It's about her Hollywood years.

dgcasey

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
I'm about halfway through and I must say, I'm not impressed. I may not make the end.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:49:03 PM by dgcasey »
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2019, 10:39:53 PM »
I just finished reading A Poisoning in Piccadilly by Lynda Wilcox (one of our own which I didn't realize until after I'd purchased the book and saw her avatar). There’s another series with similar names that I also started to read (A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia by Clara Benson) which has much more humor. I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

Also reading A Shot in the Bark by C.A. Newsome, another decent mystery. Of the three, I like Lynda Wilcox’s the best. I bought the next (Burglary in Belgravia) and will probably start reading it this week.

Finished Daughter of Time by Sarah Woodbury. American woman of Welsh descent gets transported back in time to Wales and the reign of Llewelyn, the last Welsh Prince of Wales. It moved quickly and I was thinking of continuing the series but there are seventeen more of them. Daunting.