Author Topic: International sites not set to free  (Read 290 times)

Marti Talbott

International sites not set to free
« on: November 18, 2020, 07:03:20 AM »
I have a bookbub coming out tomorrow on The Viking. When I looked, none of Amazon's international sites are price matched to free. I sent them an email this morning, but I think it's too late. No wonder I don't sell anything in the other countries. Very upset today!
Just when I think I have something intelligent to say, and rush to post it here, I've forgotten what it was.

Simon Haynes

Re: International sites not set to free
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 07:42:33 AM »
Really hope they can fix this for you. Hopefully mentioning Bookbub will get some action happening.

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about this. Pricing issues are so frustrating. I hope they fix it.

Maybe ask if BB would be willing to refund the international cost of the promo??

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Marti Talbott

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about this. Pricing issues are so frustrating. I hope they fix it.

Maybe ask if BB would be willing to refund the international cost of the promo??

Does international only pertain to Amazon? Kobo has other countries and so does Google Play.
Just when I think I have something intelligent to say, and rush to post it here, I've forgotten what it was.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 02:07:20 PM »
I hope it works out Marti and that you get a lot of downloads.

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »
Does international only pertain to Amazon? Kobo has other countries and so does Google Play.
That's right. Good luck with the promo. I hope things work out for you regardless.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Marti Talbott

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 12:39:44 AM »
That's right. Good luck with the promo. I hope things work out for you regardless.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. I haven't run an ad on this book for almost a year and it has over 1K reviews on Amazon. So far this morning, 39 sales. 7:40 am. MST

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

Marti Talbott

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 04:18:48 AM »
11:15 MST - 4288 downloads of the free book. I have six books in this series, so the proof is in the follow up sales, as always. I paid $749 and at least the UK and CA are showing downloads.

Best Sellers Rank: #2,283 Free in Kindle Store
#5 in Historical Scottish Fiction
#20 in Scottish Historical Romance (Kindle Store)
#153 in Teen & Young Adult eBooks

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 04:32:55 AM »
I think the biggest risk was that bookbub wouldn't run it and keep your money if it wasn't free everywhere, so congratulations on clearing that hurdle.  I wish you many more downloads.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 04:35:39 AM »
I think the biggest risk was that bookbub wouldn't run it and keep your money if it wasn't free everywhere, so congratulations on clearing that hurdle.  I wish you many more downloads.

Thanks. Bookbub didn't notify me of any problems, so I guess all is well.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 04:44:29 AM »
It's definitely free on Amazon australia.

Good luck!

Marti Talbott

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 08:20:06 AM »
It's definitely free on Amazon australia.

Good luck!

Thanks, Simon.

UPDATE: 3:30 MST Amazon.com 5802 downloads - not nearly as good as the last time. But then, it's Amazon.com only.

Best Sellers Rank: #44 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
#2 in Scottish Historical Romance (Kindle Store)
#2 in Historical Scottish Fiction
#5 in Teen & Young Adult eBooks

notthatamanda

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 09:42:01 AM »
Great ranks! Congratulations!

Marti Talbott

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »
Thanks!  :banana:

LilyBLily

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:50:49 AM »
 :tup3b

Marti Talbott

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 12:25:02 PM »
Update: 7:25 MST + 6610 downloads

Best Sellers Rank: #11 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
#1 in Scottish Historical Romance (Kindle Store)
#1 in Historical Scottish Fiction
#3 in Teen & Young Adult eBooks

Simon Haynes

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
That's fantastic, well done!

I applied for a 99c BB on book 4 in one of my series a couple of days ago. It's in KU so I have little hope of getting one, but it costs nothing to try.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 02:04:17 AM »
11/19 am update: downloads compared to: Dec. 2019 total downloads first 4 days, 14,143 wide

Downloads yesterday 9752 wide (Nook still not reporting on D2D)
Today so far 429 downloads on Amazon
Actual follow up sales: 41 on Amazon for a total of $57.54

Best Sellers Rank: #11 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
#1 in Scottish Historical Romance (Kindle Store)
#3 in Teen & Young Adult eBooks

LilyBLily

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »
You must be biting your nails. I hope you get lots of sales. I've applied for a BookBub again but at 99 cents.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 09:08:20 AM »
You must be biting your nails. I hope you get lots of sales. I've applied for a BookBub again but at 99 cents.

Wow, those are way out of my price range. Do you get a good return?

LilyBLily

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »
Ha-ha. I've never gotten a BookBub so I don't know.

If I ever get a bid, though, I'll do U.S. only, because I can tell from my sales that my books appeal more to Americans than otherwise. I would prefer to do a $1.99 sale because most women's fiction on BookBub goes at that discount price, but I'd need some evidence that my writing pleases BookBub's audience before going that high. I do not want to be the outlier whose BookBub doesn't convert adequately to cover the cost. Right now, my women's fiction novels are all stand-alones, so I need a source of recouping the ad cost. Hence, 99 cents. I'd still need to sell nearly 3k copies, and that's a lot. Maybe that's why BookBub has turned me down previously.

Eventually, I'm going to turn my women's fiction novels into a loosely linked series, which might improve sell through and make them more attractive to BookBub, too. One step at a time.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 03:25:35 AM »
Rank going down as expected but still pretty good for day 3, 10:05 MST.
Total downloads, Amazon, Kobo, Apple, Play - B&N still not reporting. 10,149
Sales in the series, 47. $128.75

Best Sellers Rank: #53 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
#2 in Teen & Young Adult eBooks
#3 in Scottish Historical Romance (Kindle Store)

Two things, More and more I don't think Kobo is reporting sales. It's probably just me. For a while, they had Seattle Quake as my bestseller on their site. I asked them how that was possible since I hadn't sold a copy in over a year. They said, they are counting all time sales. True, that book has been up since they first opened, but I haven't kept count of all-time sales, so I have to take their word for it. Then, they moved it to the second page. Anyway, no matter how much money I pour into sales, Kobo sells very few. Today they report 910 downloads from the BB ad. I'll be watching to see if there is any follow through. If so, then it's just me.  :icon_lol2:

Second: my Viking series (6 books) is the beginning of a family saga that leads to my Highlander series, (14 books), my Marblestone series (10 books) and then my Beloved series (4 books). So the low price on the first series still gives me the potential to make money on more than just the first 6 books. I should eventually make my money back ... I hope.

What we all know by now - series work!

notthatamanda

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2020, 05:38:23 AM »
Kobo keeps track of it all for you. You can do sales by book on the dashboard and look at each book individually if you like.

Congratulations on your great results. Were most of your Kobo downloads in Canada? Just curious.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:51 AM »
Kobo keeps track of it all for you. You can do sales by book on the dashboard and look at each book individually if you like.

Congratulations on your great results. Were most of your Kobo downloads in Canada? Just curious.

True, but when I sell over 60 books on the other sites and none on Kobo, it makes me wonder. Oh well, it is what it is. Downloads show 640 in Canada and only 7 sales, most of them sold before the BookBub vs 47 follow through sales on Amazon and 22 on Apple yesterday. I can't get Google Play stats for yesterday until tomorrow and who knows what's happening on Nook.

notthatamanda

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 06:32:47 AM »
I just can't sell on Kobo, although I did have a 40% off promo on Kobo in November that actually hit double digits, first time that ever happened and broke $100 for a month. It was quite a shock.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 06:40:20 AM »
I just can't sell on Kobo, although I did have a 40% off promo on Kobo in November that actually hit double digits, first time that ever happened and broke $100 for a month. It was quite a shock.

They don't accept my promos. Sigh.

notthatamanda

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 07:25:22 AM »
Oh, sorry. I've got over a hundred rejections there as well, but they are easy enough to apply to and if they are $10 or a % of sales, it's pretty low risk so I apply pretty regularly. Still hoping for a first in the series free spot, but that hasn't happened.