Author Topic: Do you guys use "A+" content on your Amazon book pages?  (Read 680 times)

Gregg Bell

Do you guys use "A+" content on your Amazon book pages?
« on: August 13, 2024, 10:48:02 AM »
I never have and now I'm seeing all these great uses of it in others' books and wondering why not? I did go through Amazon's "A+ Content Examples," but I'd like to know if you use them and if so, how you use them and if you think they're worth it?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Do you guys use "A+" content on your Amazon book pages?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 12:01:00 PM »
The first comment is their use of images is maddening. They are all very odd sizes, and they don't just make an image fit. So before you upload an image, you need to know it looks good on their size by making it that exact size first.

I use just a poster of my universe covers on all books, that is also the suggested read order. Under it is teaser for each first in series book.

It's not as flashy as some people do, but I think it works.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Gregg Bell

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 11:42:13 PM »
I've said this before, but I think Timothy's A+ content is very effective. Showing off the whole catalog and providing some guidance for it definitely makes it attractive to voracious readers.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 12:59:09 AM »
When I spoke with Damon Za a year ago, they mentioned that they use a standard method to creating the content. It's that three section image method that's pretty rampant on Amazon and appears the most popular.

I don't do any "standard". I created my content a couple weeks after it became available on Amazon. You can take a look at each series I created. For my epic fantasy & my sci fi, I just displayed extra banner art made by the artists. For my witch and contemporary goddess series, I showed similar books and extra creatives.

You can do whatever you want. Does A+ content sell more? Why not use more Amazon real estate? :shrug

Gregg Bell

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2024, 04:03:44 AM »
The first comment is their use of images is maddening. They are all very odd sizes, and they don't just make an image fit. So before you upload an image, you need to know it looks good on their size by making it that exact size first.

I use just a poster of my universe covers on all books, that is also the suggested read order. Under it is teaser for each first in series book.

It's not as flashy as some people do, but I think it works.

Thanks Timothy. I went to one of your books and think the universe works great (and is impressive). Thanks for the heads-up about the sizing.

Gregg Bell

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2024, 04:05:02 AM »
I've said this before, but I think Timothy's A+ content is very effective. Showing off the whole catalog and providing some guidance for it definitely makes it attractive to voracious readers.

Ha ha. I just told him that! (Great minds think alike?)

Gregg Bell

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2024, 04:19:14 AM »
When I spoke with Damon Za a year ago, they mentioned that they use a standard method to creating the content. It's that three section image method that's pretty rampant on Amazon and appears the most popular.

I don't do any "standard". I created my content a couple weeks after it became available on Amazon. You can take a look at each series I created. For my epic fantasy & my sci fi, I just displayed extra banner art made by the artists. For my witch and contemporary goddess series, I showed similar books and extra creatives.

You can do whatever you want. Does A+ content sell more? Why not use more Amazon real estate? :shrug

Thanks A.L. I looked at all your series. I like all the A+ stuff. Probably my inner desire not to screw anything up would just have me using what the book designer provided, but it's good to know there are options.

"Why not use more Amazon real estate?"
Exactly. Seems like a no-brainer. I'm just finally getting around to it (which tells you where my brain's been at.)

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2024, 11:15:32 PM »
I don't disagree with the concept of using more Amazon real estate, but I will point out that the A+ content is fairly far down the page, depending on how many carousels Amazon is using at the moment and where it puts them, both of which vary.

In other words, is A+ content like a billboard on the main drag, or is it more like a billboard on a side street nobody ever actually drives down? As with so many things, we lack the data to know with any certainty.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, Gregg Bell

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2024, 05:47:32 AM »
I put up some decent A+ content as soon as it broke, but I don't think it sells my books. Still, it can't hurt them. In some instances I used images that aren't on my covers in order to suggest other views of who my characters are.

If you can do it easily and/or without significant cost, why not? 

Gregg Bell

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024, 07:45:57 AM »
I don't disagree with the concept of using more Amazon real estate, but I will point out that the A+ content is fairly far down the page, depending on how many carousels Amazon is using at the moment and where it puts them, both of which vary.

In other words, is A+ content like a billboard on the main drag, or is it more like a billboard on a side street nobody ever actually drives down? As with so many things, we lack the data to know with any certainty.

Thanks Bill.
In other words, is A+ content like a billboard on the main drag, or is it more like a billboard on a side street nobody ever actually drives down?
  Regarding this.^ If someone is scrolling down, it seems to me they're interested, so I think a catchy image would be good. The only other thing I can think of is that it might slow people down from getting to the reviews. At this point, I couldn't see using anything for the A+ but the cover image, would that be considered redundant? Do people do that?

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 08:52:13 AM »
I haven't done them, but I think it's a good idea.  If someone scrolls down to check reviews, they're going to see it!

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books
https://lavendercottagebooks.com/

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024, 10:39:49 PM »

Thanks Bill.
In other words, is A+ content like a billboard on the main drag, or is it more like a billboard on a side street nobody ever actually drives down?
  Regarding this.^ If someone is scrolling down, it seems to me they're interested, so I think a catchy image would be good. The only other thing I can think of is that it might slow people down from getting to the reviews. At this point, I couldn't see using anything for the A+ but the cover image, would that be considered redundant? Do people do that?
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but the cover image is already on the book page, so I'm not sure how much using it again in A+ would add. Or did you mean a montage of all your covers like Timothy does?

Gregg Bell

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2024, 04:00:19 AM »

Thanks Bill.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but the cover image is already on the book page, so I'm not sure how much using it again in A+ would add. Or did you mean a montage of all your covers like Timothy does?

No, I meant the cover being the A+ with the three divisions. It's redundant for sure but kind of flashy.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2024, 04:28:21 AM »
These look really nice! I have one author/friend who put her entire series in (two books each section) and it really helps since the additional books in the series no longer seem to be on the page.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer, Gregg Bell

writeway

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2024, 04:37:25 PM »
Yep, I use it for some books. It's a great passive marketing tool. It's prime real estate to be able to advertise right there in that huge space on Amazon FOR FREE. This is space Amazon could be charging us a fortune to use but it's completely free. I am surprised that more authors don't seem to be taking advantage of it. You can do so much with A+ content and be creative. If it's a book in a series, I'll make content with the other books in the series so the readers can see and read about them all on the one page. I also will advertise backlist books on the pages of newer releases. You can post images, blurbs, even samples of your book as long as it's not explicit. The possibilities are endless. Whenever a huge retailer like Amazon with millions of shoppers a day gives you a big chunk of free space to advertise your books it's definitely worth it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 04:40:38 PM by writeway »

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2024, 08:23:34 PM »
I was going to ask if someone could explain for me in a nutshell just what A+ content is, but this thread kind of does that. I'm intrigued as to why Amazon has even created this. You'd have to imagine the hive mind at Amazon has figured out a way this benefits Zon before anyone else.

I wonder if the algorithms favour authors who use it? I mean, as a way of filtering those authors who are serious, and those who create one "book" and give up after a week?

Gregg Bell

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2024, 04:09:18 AM »
Yep, I use it for some books. It's a great passive marketing tool. It's prime real estate to be able to advertise right there in that huge space on Amazon FOR FREE. This is space Amazon could be charging us a fortune to use but it's completely free. I am surprised that more authors don't seem to be taking advantage of it. You can do so much with A+ content and be creative. If it's a book in a series, I'll make content with the other books in the series so the readers can see and read about them all on the one page. I also will advertise backlist books on the pages of newer releases. You can post images, blurbs, even samples of your book as long as it's not explicit. The possibilities are endless. Whenever a huge retailer like Amazon with millions of shoppers a day gives you a big chunk of free space to advertise your books it's definitely worth it.

Good explanation of the benefits. Makes sense.

Gregg Bell

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2024, 04:11:53 AM »
I was going to ask if someone could explain for me in a nutshell just what A+ content is, but this thread kind of does that. I'm intrigued as to why Amazon has even created this. You'd have to imagine the hive mind at Amazon has figured out a way this benefits Zon before anyone else.

I wonder if the algorithms favour authors who use it? I mean, as a way of filtering those authors who are serious, and those who create one "book" and give up after a week?

Here's the KDP page for it. https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GHL7P99B7AA543CN

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2024, 09:14:28 AM »

Here's the KDP page for it. https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GHL7P99B7AA543CN

Thanks Gregg, yep I found this last night. I've got the photoshop skills etc to put something reasonable together, so as others have said ... why not? Dunno about Amazon's claim it can increase sales by 8-20%. The only bugbear is you have to create the content for each Amazon market.

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2024, 11:32:24 PM »
I'm moving toward doing something with it, but (because there's always a but with Amazon) I do have one misgiving.

Amazon used to do something similar and charged heavily for it (so only very successful indies could afford to do it.

Then, suddenly A+ content is introduced for free. Am I overly suspicious to think that Amazon is doing its drug-dealer strategy again--give us something free, get us hooked, then charge for it, then gradually increase the price?

Otherwise, it does seem like a good deal.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2024, 11:51:33 PM »
Amazon used to do something similar and charged heavily for it (so only very successful indies could afford to do it.

Then, suddenly A+ content is introduced for free. Am I overly suspicious to think that Amazon is doing its drug-dealer strategy again--give us something free, get us hooked, then charge for it, then gradually increase the price?

I think if that was going to happen, it would have by now.

Besides, if they put a price on it, I'd simply delete it.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, Gregg Bell

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2024, 12:20:41 AM »
I'm moving toward doing something with it, but (because there's always a but with Amazon) I do have one misgiving.

Interesting that there is a TV show in Oz called "Gruen" that analyses advertising and so on, and it said recently that marketing 101 was to first create a demand for a service for free, then start charging for it.

LilyBLily

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2024, 07:46:53 AM »
A+ has been around for a fairly long time now (in book marketing years, which may be dog years) and never moved the needle AFAIK. I don't see how Amazon could justify charging. Where are the results? If Amazon started to charge, I would dump it.

Gregg Bell

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2024, 09:02:17 AM »

Thanks Gregg, yep I found this last night. I've got the photoshop skills etc to put something reasonable together, so as others have said ... why not? Dunno about Amazon's claim it can increase sales by 8-20%. The only bugbear is you have to create the content for each Amazon market.

I've got the photoshop skills etc to put something reasonable together

^ I'm glad you said that. I've the same. They give you the sizes. Just be creative.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2024, 12:36:32 PM »
I think I'm going to try this for the series I'm putting into KU. Any tips or things to avoid when putting this together?

Found an interesting YouTube video, but the gal already had all kinds of social media images via Canva that she reused.  I'm starting from scratch.  :angel:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2024, 12:54:34 PM »
I think I'm going to try this for the series I'm putting into KU. Any tips or things to avoid when putting this together?

Found an interesting YouTube video, but the gal already had all kinds of social media images via Canva that she reused.  I'm starting from scratch.  :angel:

Don't use anything from Canva!

Canva is good way of getting banned. Amazon hates that site.

writeway

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2024, 06:06:05 PM »

When A+ Content started it was only for trade publishers to use. After years of indies whining about how we wanted to use it too, they opened it up to everyone. I don't think the algorithms favor authors using it or anything it's just a FREE way to promote on Amazon which is valuable. You can promote to your readers on your own book pages. Of course, it benefits Zon and it's easy to see how. A+ Content keeps shoppers lurking so they might buy more books, etc. Amazon's goal is always to sell and that's what it should be. It would be stupid for Amazon to provide something and not expect to get anything back. No company does something without getting a benefit. They don't owe us anything which is why having a free space to advertise is a good thing. Amazon does not have to do this. But just because it benefits Amazon doesn't mean it doesn't work for authors. Authors, we are no different. We do things for our own benefit too and to make money. I am fine with a company getting theirs if they are providing tools for authors. Amazon does a whole lot more than wide stores, that's for sure. They offer NO visibility in those stores unless you're spending on ads or lucky enough to get an in-house promo.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, Gregg Bell