Author Topic: Kindlepreneur Course, anyone done it?  (Read 243 times)

The Bass Bagwhan

Kindlepreneur Course, anyone done it?
« on: August 20, 2024, 05:59:47 PM »
For my sins, I just signed up for Dave Chesson's (Kindlepreneur) AMS free course. Seeing that I'm about to go on vacation for ten days and my brain gets bored quickly, I figured it was an option to watch the different episodes when it's useful. However, in the introductory video (not part of the course) I was impressed on his emphasis on negative keywords and how they can avoid (book) shoppers clicking on your ads more as a fishing expedition rather than genuine interest in the book. So for example, exempting "free book" or "free ebook" will somewhat avoid your ad being shown to people who may click on it just to see if there's a free version ... it makes you think harder about negative keywords that might discourage casual browsers and target people actually interested.

I think his courses have been around a long time in one version or another (I've been seeing the name for ages), and I'm sure there will likewise be a wide range of opinions on their worth, but I'll still ask ... anyone here done it? Opinions?

Cheers for any info.

LilyBLily

Re: Kindlepreneur Course, anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 11:44:27 PM »
Dave Chesson has been around a a good long while and he keeps on top of the trends as they change. I just reviewed a batch of his videos last night and learned something new; definite value in those. (A friend urged me to buy Publisher Rocket last year before the price went up, and I did, but I confess that I have not used it yet.) Even if you don't buy anything from Dave, you can work his methods yourself for free. What Rocket does is compile many more stats than you or I would ever have the patience to collect. And some that we may or may not need depending on where we are in our publishing journey.

I would listen to this Dave, David Gaughran, and Bryan Cohen when it comes to marketing. They spend most of their time learning the ins and outs. (Also, Nick Erik, but he's mainly for people deep in the trenches of significant advertising spend.) That doesn't mean that following their particular pieces of advice will always work for your particular books. YMMV, as always.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 12:16:25 AM »
Dave Chesson has been around a a good long while and he keeps on top of the trends as they change. I just reviewed a batch of his videos last night and learned something new; definite value in those. (A friend urged me to buy Publisher Rocket last year before the price went up, and I did, but I confess that I have not used it yet.) Even if you don't buy anything from Dave, you can work his methods yourself for free. What Rocket does is compile many more stats than you or I would ever have the patience to collect. And some that we may or may not need depending on where we are in our publishing journey.

I would listen to this Dave, David Gaughran, and Bryan Cohen when it comes to marketing. They spend most of their time learning the ins and outs. (Also, Nick Erik, but he's mainly for people deep in the trenches of significant advertising spend.) That doesn't mean that following their particular pieces of advice will always work for your particular books. YMMV, as always.

Thanks for this. My approach is that all these "experts" all have something to offer if you listen to them, and Dave Chesson offers more than just YouTube fodder.

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 03:24:09 AM »
I took the course years back. I also have Publisher Rocket.

I still use Publisher Rocket for choosing keywords and categories on new books/series, but I don't spend the time changing categories or keywords on published books. Not sure the time suck is worth the effort of altering book info (but I'm wide, not in KU).

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2024, 01:26:44 PM »
Update: the course is a legitimate funnel to buying Publishers Rocket, which I've now researched and incidentally the helpful replies here make even more sense.

It's hard to hit the buy button on PR just yet. Although it might be a big help for my more niche genre books like horror and others. The basic concept of pulling together the best keywords should be achievable with a bit of head-scratching and a good glass of red.