Author Topic: Amazon AMS ads take a while to establish themselves, right?  (Read 491 times)

The Bass Bagwhan

Amazon AMS ads take a while to establish themselves, right?
« on: September 02, 2024, 12:44:28 PM »
I've researched but found nothing recent ... AMS ads do take a while before you can properly assess whether they're working, correct? I don't mean Amazon approval, I mean looking at the results and deciding if you got it right.

Cheers for any help.

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Amazon AMS ads take a while to establish themselves, right?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 11:26:12 PM »
Data doesn't update in real time.

Aside from that, yeah, it takes a little while for patterns to emerge. I would keep watching, though, especially for ads based on keywords rather than products. I've found it helps to prune those every so often, getting rid of ones that generate a lot of clicks and no sales. I also think it's good to look at the search terms that invoke your ad, so that you can list any that are unproductive in the negative targeting area. For example, unless you have a permafree first in series, you probably don't want your ad to pop up in response to a search for free ebooks.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 01:34:24 AM »
When I used to do AMS, I recall the data lagging. I'd usually wait about a week to see if an ad is selling--and sometimes, unfortunately, even the sale data turns out wrong.

I've failed AMS multiple times in the past and have completely given up with it. I've resorted to BookBub ads as my main source in sales.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 04:39:32 PM »
When I used to do AMS, I recall the data lagging. I'd usually wait about a week to see if an ad is selling--and sometimes, unfortunately, even the sale data turns out wrong.

I've failed AMS multiple times in the past and have completely given up with it. I've resorted to BookBub ads as my main source in sales.

Yes, likewise I've tried AMS a few times and failed dismally, but on those occasions I was trying to kick some life into non-performing titles. This time, I'm targeting a book that has sold quite well with facebook ads and even now, with FB paused, is ticking over organic sales. But I've had the feeling of losing control of the FB ads and primarily want to see if i can transfer, if you like, the marketing impetus or influence from FB to AMS.

The "known" factor here is the appeal of the book. So if this again fails its gotta be the ads, not the product. Its weird logic, I know, but if I'm careful costs me nothing until I get it right.

Theoretically...

The following users thanked this post: Sailor Stone

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 02:41:57 AM »
In theory, ads on the actual platform where you want the sales should be more effective than ads on another platform. And AMS ads have always been more effective for me than Facebook ads. But they still aren't cost effective. Maybe you'll have better luck.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 10:58:44 AM »
In theory, ads on the actual platform where you want the sales should be more effective than ads on another platform. And AMS ads have always been more effective for me than Facebook ads. But they still aren't cost effective. Maybe you'll have better luck.

What do you call "cost effective", Bill? Surely you at least have a positive ROI?

Cheers!

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2024, 01:05:52 AM »
Positive ROI? I'm not sure that's ever happened with AMS ads.

When they first started, it was better. I know it can be done. Anarchist has said it's doable. But no matter how much time I spend tweaking, I lose money.

I think part of the problem is how many people are competing for clicks, driving up the price per click. It's high enough now in popular genres that you might well spend 1/3 to 1/2 of the royalty on a book paying for a click, which means you need a sale every two or three clicks just to break even. Conversion rates are seldom that high.

My philosophy used to be that such spending was an investment in the future. Now, it's more like keeping a patient on life support. In any given month, the majority of my sales come from AMS ads, except sometimes when I do a huge promotion for a new release. I'm not spending more than I can afford. I'll pull the plug if I have to.

Substack is driving some sales. We'll see if it becomes an eventual replacement for AMS ads.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2024, 10:48:34 AM »
That's kind of depressing. But for the moment, my aim is to get some sort result from AMS ... like, just any amount of sales just to prove it can be done. Then I'll see if it can be tweaked into any positive ROI.

So far, my self-chosen keywords have had little success, but I did deliberately stay away from popular and expensive ones. I'll be home in a few days and that will let me trial Publishers Rocket. If that doesn't help, I'll get a refund and maybe go back to the FB drawing board ... or maybe try BB.

Gregg Bell

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2024, 09:51:37 AM »
I've researched but found nothing recent ... AMS ads do take a while before you can properly assess whether they're working, correct? I don't mean Amazon approval, I mean looking at the results and deciding if you got it right.

Cheers for any help.

I've heard think long term. And don't think expense. Think investment.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2024, 11:55:14 PM »

Cheers for any help.

The word you're looking for is gambling.  :icon_mrgreen:
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, cecilia_writer

Gregg Bell

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2024, 02:12:10 PM »

Cheers for any help.

The word you're looking for is gambling.  :icon_mrgreen:

Ha ha. Pretty much. The odds are definitely stacked in favor of the house.