Author Topic: EU agrees on lower sales tax for e-books, online papers  (Read 2333 times)

German Translator

EU agrees on lower sales tax for e-books, online papers
« on: October 06, 2018, 09:36:20 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-tax-ebooks/eu-agrees-on-lower-sales-tax-for-e-books-online-papers-idUSKCN1MC0UH?il=0

LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) - European Union finance ministers decided on Tuesday to allow lower sales taxes on e-books and other digital publications and to align them to reduced levies applied to paper versions of books and magazines.

The deal will allow EU states to apply reduced or even zero VAT rates to electronic publications, which are currently taxed at a minimum of 15 percent because they are treated as electronic services.

“This proposal is part of our efforts to modernize VAT for the digital economy, and enables us to keep pace with technological progress,” said Austrian Finance Minister Hartwig Loeger, who chaired the meeting.

The agreement comes after more than two years of talks after a European Commission proposal. The European Parliament supported the plan a year ago.

“This is good news for the press and for the culture sector,” EU Economic Commissioner Pierre Moscovici commented on Twitter after the deal was reached.

Very low or zero rates will only be allowed “for member states that currently apply them to physical publications,” the EU Council said in a note.

The new rules will apply temporarily until a comprehensive reform of the VAT system in the EU is approved.

The overhaul proposed by the Commission would give EU states more flexibility in setting VAT rates.

Just a few of the books I have translated (English <-> German)

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn, PaulJWhite

DrewMcGunn

Re: EU agrees on lower sales tax for e-books, online papers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing this. I saw this on that other forum.  I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

I sell enough books in the UK and Germany to worry about the VAT rate. I made the decision a while back to adjust the price per book for my series in the EU to account for the VAT fee for each state. I wasn't particularly interested in making less per sale than the US. It makes my books more expensive in the EU. But it hasn't impacted sales in the UK. Not sure about Germany. BUt I sell ten times more books in the UK than I do Germany.

Drew McGunn

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
I doubt it's your price, because Germans are less price sensitive with regard to books than Americans. However, your books are in English and the subject matter is very American, so that naturally limits your audience.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
I doubt it's your price, because Germans are less price sensitive with regard to books than Americans. However, your books are in English and the subject matter is very American, so that naturally limits your audience.

So true. My books do have a certain regional appeal. In some respects, that makes me "Riding a Llama" happy :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em that nearly ten percent of my readers are not in the US.

Because of the regional appeal, I doubt I'll go looking for someone to translate the book into other languages. I would have a hard time seeing that effort pay for itself.

Drew McGunn

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 03:45:08 PM »
This is very good news for me, as I've invested heavily in German translations. The VAT rates do hurt, as I simply end up eating the tax, rather than trying to sell above the optimum price point.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

guest14

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »
I simply end up eating the tax, rather than trying to sell above the optimum price point.

Don't we all

PaulJWhite

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »
This great news! Thanks for the info.

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »
This is very good news for me, as I've invested heavily in German translations. The VAT rates do hurt, as I simply end up eating the tax, rather than trying to sell above the optimum price point.

The reduced print book VAT rate in Germany is 7%, so that would really help. Though considering how much our current government has been preoccupied with stupid squabbles, I'm not holding my breath for them to change it anytime soon. Pensions and housing are simply more important agenda items.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

The following users thanked this post: Jo

guest14

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »
For most of us, it should simply mean that our prices will remain the same, but the tax element will be reduced at source meaning a larger royalty.

Nobody

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »
I sell quite well on Europe, so these are great news! I find that people in Europe don't mind paying more for the books.

e.g. selling book for $14.99 and for €13.99 rather than an accurate conversion (€12.99)