Author Topic: Game of Thrones reaction: I must be taking crazy pills  (Read 1108 times)

Jeff Tanyard

Re: Game of Thrones reaction: I must be taking crazy pills
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
Oh geez. Is watching season 8 worth the angst? I'm one episode away from starting.... :icon_eek:

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »
My reaction to 8x05:  :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :HB :HB :HB :icon_think: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: 

Now I'm only hoping for
Spoiler: ShowHide
 Arya to escape this show on her unicorn. Oh, and if she could take the upgraded dragon with her, that would be great.

Equus ex machina.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Captain Cranky

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 07:37:11 PM »
*Sigh* Suppose I better get started then...
Keep your head down, keep on swinging.

The following users thanked this post: Denise, Jeff Tanyard

Denise

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
I'm happy with the last episode.

- It got so bad it was funny.
- I no longer need to explain why I think the series has terrible writing.
- D&D were supposed to work on a Star Wars trilogy. Maybe TPTB will see reason after this conclusion. Please don't let them ruin the Old Republic.

- I think GRRM has been having writers block. I think it's so much pressure, etc. With this conclusion, he'll hopefully realize that whatever he writes is going to be better than the series.

The following users thanked this post: VHS

PJ Post

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »
I thought the writing, while still pretty flawed, was turning a corner from last season, alas...

They seem preoccupied with creating Cinematic Moments, rather than a cohesive story with logical character motivations.

Why - when everything she had ever fought for was hers, at long last - did she go on a genocidal tirade that served no purpose other than to set up the conflict between her and Jon, because now she's bad and he's good. The Breaker of Chains suddenly hates the oppressed? While not nearly as bad, it's a lot like Luke in TLJ. The seeds for her crazy were there, but it was so rushed that the whole thing ended up being totally unearned - just as Arya's abandoning her quest for revenge was; why? Because the Hound told her to go home and be a good girl, otherwise she might end up like him? For f*cks sake, she already IS him!

The following users thanked this post: VHS

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »
For you AC/DC fans:

:icon_mrgreen:   :band:   :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: KFaitour

VHS

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »
I would encourage anyone to go back and watch Season 3 Episode 10 entitled: "Mhysa" and compare that version of Dany with the character we've seen of late. You'll see just how far the writing has fallen and how out of character she was in Season 8 Episode 5.

There is no way after hearing those bells that the character being held aloft by citizens in S3E10 would have gone ahead after a full surrender by her enemies and burned an entire city killing thousands if not millions of innocents including children. Not the same show. Not the same characters. I don't who that was riding Drogon, but that wasn't Mhysa.

At this point I'm hoping she walks out next episode in front of all the survivors and removes her face to reveal she'd been replaced by the God of Death this entire time saying something like "only death can pay for life" and we find out Jaqen H'ghar killed the real Dany a long time ago.

Yep, that would still be crap writing, but it would still make more sense than what we're seeing.

Denise

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2019, 11:09:09 AM »

At this point I'm hoping she walks out next episode in front of all the survivors and removes her face to reveal she'd been replaced by the God of Death this entire time saying something like "only death can pay for life" and we find out Jaqen H'ghar killed the real Dany a long time ago.

That's a great suggestion. It's certainly better than whatever they're going to write.

Does anyone have any suggestion for other issues:

- Do Dothraki and Unsullied respawn? (And they seem to respawn in greater numbers. Quite interesting)
- Are Dothraki and Unsullied fireproof?
- How did the Northern men act just as crazy as Dany and kept attacking with unnecessary violence and attacking civilians?

- When did Euron and Cersei downgrade their scorpions? From being a big threat making Dany's dragon ineffective, they became a joke.

- How did Jaime forget that his defining act was a character was to kill a king to protect innocents in the city, thus tainting his honor for life, and said he didn't care about the innocents? How did his hand grow back? 

- Did Cersei forget she'd sent Bronn to kill Jaime? Or was she upset he was hurt instead of dead?

- Where did Vary's intelligence go? Tyrion's?

They wasted a great opportunity for some moral ambiguity by having Dany do something completely stupid, unnecessary, and unquestionably evil. She's worse than cartoon villains, because they usually do evil things to achieve a goal. Had Dany caused deaths in a way that she still felt was justified and she still believed she had the moral high ground, it would have been a lot more consistent with the character and a lot more interesting. But no, let's make sure she's completely evil, without any question, so she can be killed (probably by Jon), because GOT is about plain good and plain evil, right?

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, VHS

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
It seems that the big takeaway from how Game of Thrones has turned out is that if, by some fantastic stroke of luck, your books get picked up for a TV series, finish the damned series before the TV show overtakes you!

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Denise

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »
It seems that the big takeaway from how Game of Thrones has turned out is that if, by some fantastic stroke of luck, your books get picked up for a TV series, finish the damned series before the TV show overtakes you!

Unless it was all a diabolical plot on George's part.  Perhaps he decided to use the show as a test run to garner audience feedback.  Then he'll write the remaining books the way everyone wanted the story to play out.  He'll be the hero of the hour in the readers' eyes.

Just a theory.  ;)

How did his hand grow back? 

In case anyone is confused by this comment, here's what Denise is referring to:

:doh: :hehe

Just add it to the long list of derp for this season.  On the plus side, now that Jaime has his hand back, maybe he's able to make mocha lattes and can find gainful employment in Dany's Winterfell franchise of Starbuck's.

On an unrelated note, this is funny:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

If I ever go to war, I want Captain Cthulhu and his anti-aircraft gun on my side.   :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: Denise, PJ Post, Tom Wood, VHS

Simon Haynes

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »
I was just waiting for the bowmaster to bring down a star wars Walker. Guess I can live with two death stars instead ;-)

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs.

The following users thanked this post: Denise, Jeff Tanyard

Captain Cranky

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2019, 02:13:38 PM »

On an unrelated note, this is funny:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

If I ever go to war, I want Captain Cthulhu and his anti-aircraft gun on my side.   :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_rofl: The Loki one was particularly well-timed! That was awesome  :littleclap

Simon Haynes

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »
I would bet a large pile of cash that Arya will wear a Jon mask and take out Dany in the last ep. Then again, Arya doesn't look much taller than Tyrion, so perhaps she'll use his face instead.

They have to use her skill somewhere this season.

Denise

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »
Well, like I wrote, the good thing is that it's so bad it's funny. The memes are killing me.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Jeff Tanyard, Eric Thomson, PJ Post, ingobernable, Lauren P., VHS

Captain Cranky

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
So a couple of days ago I finally made it to s8e5, and I don't know what to say..I just...eh.

Thought I'd share a video instead to lighten the mood  :icon_rolleyes:

The following users thanked this post: Denise, PJ Post

antares

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2019, 04:26:42 PM »
Season 8 of Game of Thrones makes me glad I have Stargate SG-1 on DVD.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2019, 04:50:35 PM »

Funny you should mention that. I started re-watching SG-1 from the first ep just this week. (It's all on Stan.)

"What do we have, and what do we need?"
"We have a Stargate. We need a dial home device."

Love it.

The following users thanked this post: antares

antares

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2019, 08:45:56 PM »
Simon Haynes, Let's stay in touch and compare notes. IMO Stargate SG-1 has a lot to teach about the dos and don'ts of writing.

Funny you should mention that. I started re-watching SG-1 from the first ep just this week. (It's all on Stan.)

"What do we have, and what do we need?"
"We have a Stargate. We need a dial home device."

Love it.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

Simon Haynes

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2019, 09:59:27 PM »
Sure has. Just compare it to Stargate Universe, which was dire. (The idea was cool, but it was way too grim, dark and bleak.)

Year before last I re-watched all of SG1 followed by SGA and all the movie-length specials. Then I started on Universe and gave up during the first ep. I've seen the whole series of SGU before, but ... nah.

The following users thanked this post: antares

JRTomlin

« Reply #69 on: Today at 09:17:48 AM »

That's a great suggestion. It's certainly better than whatever they're going to write.

Does anyone have any suggestion for other issues:

- Do Dothraki and Unsullied respawn? (And they seem to respawn in greater numbers. Quite interesting)
- Are Dothraki and Unsullied fireproof?
- How did the Northern men act just as crazy as Dany and kept attacking with unnecessary violence and attacking civilians?

- When did Euron and Cersei downgrade their scorpions? From being a big threat making Dany's dragon ineffective, they became a joke.

- How did Jaime forget that his defining act was a character was to kill a king to protect innocents in the city, thus tainting his honor for life, and said he didn't care about the innocents? How did his hand grow back? 

- Did Cersei forget she'd sent Bronn to kill Jaime? Or was she upset he was hurt instead of dead?

- Where did Vary's intelligence go? Tyrion's?

They wasted a great opportunity for some moral ambiguity by having Dany do something completely stupid, unnecessary, and unquestionably evil. She's worse than cartoon villains, because they usually do evil things to achieve a goal. Had Dany caused deaths in a way that she still felt was justified and she still believed she had the moral high ground, it would have been a lot more consistent with the character and a lot more interesting. But no, let's make sure she's completely evil, without any question, so she can be killed (probably by Jon), because GOT is about plain good and plain evil, right?
You don't understand. Any woman with power MUST be evil. It is the rule.

The following users thanked this post: ingobernable

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #70 on: Today at 09:24:47 AM »
Any human with power MUST be evil. It is the rule.

FIFY

Bill Hiatt

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #71 on: Today at 09:34:25 AM »
That's definitely good advice!

It's probably also a good idea to try to retain some creative input. Maybe that's never done with TV series, but I know the movie examples where the author was involved (Harry Potter series, Jurassic Park, Ready Player One) worked out better than some of the ones in which the author wasn't involved. Though some changes have to be made to adapt to a different medium, the literary originals often mutate to a disturbing extent during the process.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

JRTomlin

« Reply #72 on: Today at 09:55:36 AM »

FIFY
No, in fiction powerful males are allowed not to be evil. Women, never. Now in real life, I'd agree.

ETA: It is one of the oldest cliches in literature, and it says nothing good about the writing that they went for such a cheap and easy cliche.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:01:37 AM by JRTomlin »

The following users thanked this post: ingobernable

antares

« Reply #73 on: Today at 10:20:33 AM »
The damned showrunners -- D&D -- cannot even manage internal story consistency.

In 'The Long Night', Snow ducked behind a boulder to escape dead dragon fire. The stone withstood the fire.

In 'The Bells', dragon fire exploded the stone walls of the keep of King's Landing.

I am so done with this crap. If you want me, I will be watching my DVDs of Stargate SG-1.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #74 on: Today at 01:45:49 PM »

FIFY
No, in fiction powerful males are allowed not to be evil. Women, never. Now in real life, I'd agree.

ETA: It is one of the oldest cliches in literature, and it says nothing good about the writing that they went for such a cheap and easy cliche.

Galadriel.
Eowyn.
Vin.
Dejah Thoris.
Princess Leah.
Jane from Xenocide.
Petra.
The childlike empress.
Princess buttercup.

Honk honk!
« Last Edit: Today at 01:56:25 PM by Joe Vasicek »