Author Topic: Some Kindle Keyword Tips from Dave Chesson  (Read 273 times)

LilyBLily

Some Kindle Keyword Tips from Dave Chesson
« on: October 12, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »
https://kindlepreneur.com/7-kindle-keywords/

They make sense, and he's got Actual Statistical Research (TM) to back them up.

Vinjii

Re: Some Kindle Keyword Tips from Dave Chesson
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »
Thank you for posting this. This is incredibly helpful data as I've been confused about this keyword thing for a while!  :goodpost:

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:44:53 PM »
https://kindlepreneur.com/7-kindle-keywords/

They make sense, and he's got Actual Statistical Research (TM) to back them up.

Thanks from me too. I've always under-used the keyword fields, even after buying kdp rocket (/publisher rocket).

Definitely something I'll be taking another look at.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:58:15 AM »
This was interesting and I'll definitely be taking another look at my keywords.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 03:08:45 AM »
Thanks for the link, Lily.

My ageing prawny brain struggled with a lot of it (and I abhor marketing and techno speak) but I think I got the gist. While a lot of it sounded like an advert for Rocket, there was enough gold in that post to be useful.

Is Kindle Rocket as good as they claim - and is selling books about nothing more than having the right keywords or search engine terms?

Tom Wood

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Whatever you imagine can make your life brand new.
    • Agents of DISRUPT
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 03:38:10 AM »
One of the most valuable takeaways is proof that Amazon creates all those iterations of the keywords within a keyword box. That they do rearrange the words to find all the possible variations, and then uses those new phrases as search term matches. I wonder if they also mix across all seven keyword boxes.

JRTomlin

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 03:43:33 AM »
I did not find it as good as they claim but take that as one person's experience who writes in one particular genre.

Having the right keywords helps. That is certainly not all it is about.

The following users thanked this post: Gerri Attrick

Simon Haynes

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 03:49:45 AM »
One of the most valuable takeaways is proof that Amazon creates all those iterations of the keywords within a keyword box. That they do rearrange the words to find all the possible variations, and then uses those new phrases as search term matches.

Yep, that'll change my approach for sure. Also no need to use plurals.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

JRTomlin

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 04:48:15 AM »
What I am not clear on - and it is rather important imo - is whether ALL of the words in the keyword box must be matched. That seems to at least somewhat be the implication, that they rearrange them but all must be matched.

If I put in the series of words: Scottish historical fiction series, will it ignore Scottish if people search for historical fiction series or not?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 04:50:45 AM by JRTomlin »

Tom Wood

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Agents of DISRUPT
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 04:56:13 AM »
Go ask: https://kindlepreneur.com/7-kindle-keywords/

He's active in the comments.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 04:57:56 AM »
It sounded to me like they're NOT all required to be matched. Every keyword/pair/etc in any order appears to be used.

Pretty clear in this para from the article:

Therefore, if you typed in “Dragon War Mage” into one of the 7 keyword boxes, you would also be indexed for War Dragon Mage, Mage Dragon, War Mage, Mage, and all other versions of the phrase.

The following users thanked this post: JRTomlin

JRTomlin

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 04:58:54 AM »
Good point on the Dragon Mage. That does answer my question and I overlooked it.

Tom Wood

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Agents of DISRUPT
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 05:03:33 AM »
My question about crossover between the seven boxes came up right away (by someone else) in the comments:

"Wow and thank you! My take away question is based upon your findings that Amazon will use all possible combinations of your keywords in a box (fantasy war mage dragon). What if these words were spread between different boxes? In other words if "war" was in box 1 and "dragon" in box 2, would the book still rank for "dragon war" and any other combinations of those two words? ..."

Dave Chesson:
Sadly, I totally didn't think about that and thus didn't test for it. Someone else brought that up on my team at the end of testing, and I was sooo bummed I hadn't thought of that. However, that is something I'll do later in a future test because that is a GREAT question.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:26:42 AM by Tom Wood »

Lynn

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 06:05:03 AM »
What I took from it was that if you want to end up higher in the rank, you're going to have to choose to forego the extra keywords.

As usual, it comes down to needing to test each book to see if it does better with specific keyword phrases that rank the book higher or if the book does better ranking lower for lots of keywords. The net effect, in other words.

It always comes down to experimentation, IMO, which is very time consuming to collect! :D

Marti Talbott

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 10:02:20 AM »
I'm trying this theory. We'll see if it lights a fire under my new book. Below are the combinations I chose: They don't make a lot of sense just reading them, but if I understood the article, the trick is to combine keywords that people might search for (related to the book, of course) So far this month I've sold 17 copies on Amazon, so I can use that as a measurement.

Medieval Historical 
Cultural Heritage saga
young adult clean and wholesome
 fantasy romance  special needs
Teen & Young Adult Epic Fantasy
action fable royalty
 science fiction values

Simon Haynes

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 02:50:09 PM »
Well...

(I just picked random words from your keywords)

Marti Talbott

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 12:17:37 AM »
Well...

(I just picked random words from your keywords)

As I understood the article, Amazon will index it separately in all three - clean, special needs, and fable. I could be wrong, but I just changed them Sunday so it's a little early to tell if it will work. Maybe I didn't understand your post?

Simon Haynes

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 12:44:03 AM »
What I meant to illustrate is that Amazon seems to generate search phrases from words contained in different keyword boxes.

And yours was the #1 search result when I used several phrases at random, which shows it's working. (Not restricted to words from one box, or words in the order you specified.)

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

Marti Talbott

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 12:45:13 AM »
What I meant to illustrate is that Amazon seems to generate search phrases from words contained in different keyword boxes.

And yours was the #1 search result when I used several phrases at random, which shows it's working. (Not restricted to words from one box, or words in the order you specified.)

Cool, thanks!