Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 4278 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2019, 05:03:28 AM »

I like Josephine Tey, too. 'Brat Farrar', 'The Franchise Affair' and 'The Daughter of Time' are my favorites. Oh, and 'Miss Pym Disposes'. Forgot that one.

Just finished The Man in the Queue which is the first of the Alan Grant series by Tey. What a twist! No way could I see that coming although there were a few subtle hints.

Surprisingly, I finished three of my four current books all at the same time.

Murder's a Witch by by Danielle Garret. Not bad. Some interesting characters.

And for Non-fiction, Helmets and Lipstick: An Army Nurse in World War II by Ruth G. Haskell. Interesting glimpse into the workings of the medical corps in Africa, but they moved around so much it was impossible to invest in any of the people. That's part of the reality, though, isn't it. People being transferred, injured, sent home, killed. Close friendships are made through hardship and danger and those friendships could be torn apart at any moment.

I have a way to go on my audiobook because I only get to listen while I walk the dog. In the meantime, I need to start three more books to replace those I finished.

elleoco

« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »
I like Josephine Tey, too. 'Brat Farrar', 'The Franchise Affair' and 'The Daughter of Time' are my favorites. Oh, and 'Miss Pym Disposes'. Forgot that one.

Not all of Tey are favorites of mine, but Brat Farrar is. I'm generally too cheap to replace anything I have in paper with the ebook version, but I did with that one because my paperback copy was held together with a rubber band around it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »

Not all of Tey are favorites of mine, but Brat Farrar is. I'm generally too cheap to replace anything I have in paper with the ebook version, but I did with that one because my paperback copy was held together with a rubber band around it.

I had pretty much the same problem with all my Agatha Christie and Rex Stout. I didn't know about Tey until maybe 15 years ago so her PBs were a lot newer.

RobertLCollins

• Blurb unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2019, 05:07:11 AM »
Yesterday I finished The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I quite enjoyed it. It was lyrical and well-written, and I was caught up with the heroine and the story. I'm happy I finally got to this book.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:59 AM »
Stanley Bentworth Mysteries (books 1-3) by our own Al Stevens. I'm only on the first one but I'm enjoying the characters in particular. $2.99 for three books.

The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes. I reading that one on my phone and I don't get to read on my phone very often so it will take me a while to finish.

Diabetics Behaving Badly also by Al Stevens. Quite an eye opener. I'm going to be recommending that to my neighbor who has let himself get way out of control.

Listening to Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen. I don't think I realized it was done radio style with different narrators voicing each character. I find it very distracting because each new narrator changes the rhythm.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »
I finally read some Dean Koontz.  I really enjoyed Odd Thomas, so I'll have to read the rest of the series.

I've started Tracy Barrett's The Stepsister's Tale.  It seems pretty interesting.

I've got several Harlequins, which I pretty much always enjoy, on my loans list.