Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 7856 times)

The Doctor

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »
I'm re-reading the Game of Thrones books from the beginning. And reading Good Omens for the first time (already listened to the fantastic BBC full cast drama version), in preparation for the new series.

RobertLCollins

• Flash Fiction unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
Yesterday I finished Embers of War by Gareth Powell. Good science fiction novel about atonement. Had a few interesting characters, including a sentient starship.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2019, 11:11:35 PM »
Rereading the Rabbi Small mysteries by Harry Kemmelman. I had read the first seven (named for the days of the week) when they first came out but didn't know there were more until recently. I'm on Thursday now.

The Rabbi is quiet, serious, studious and solves murders through Talmudic logic. He does tend to expound on Judaism a lot, being a rabbi, but I always enjoy learning.

LilyBLily

« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:27 AM »
I have been on a Mary Lancaster Regency romance kick. First I read her Unmarriagables series and then her Imperial Season series taking place in Vienna--very strong Georgette Heyer feel from those, by turns romantic, suspenseful, and hilarious. Vienna Waltz is the first. I haven't read this many books this fast in years. None of her characters come across as cookie cutter. Even her villains, though often smooth society types, are different from each other. Now I'm starting her longest series, the Blackhaven Brides. Lots of fun ahead, I hope.

What gives me pause, though, is how little money she's getting out of my reading her books. I read them all in Kindle Unlimited, and since they are short, she might get a dollar for each book. Then I bought the first three--for the princely total of $6.97. That's a tragically small amount of money for so much reading enjoyment.

Which I suppose is why I'm mentioning her here, so word of mouth can possibly sell more of her delightful books.

dgcasey

• Short Novel unlocked
  • I will not forget one line of this, not one day,
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2019, 02:49:45 AM »
I'm reading the final chapter in the saga of Dan McCarthy and Emma Ford.
All available at Amazon, some available at B&N and some available God knows where
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com

elleoco

« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2019, 05:41:35 AM »
Getting and rereading some of the early Dick Francis mysteries at bargain prices set me off on a horse mystery streak. So after that I reread Kit Ehrman's Steve Cline mysteries, which I liked more than I remembered. Wish there were more of those.

After that I tried some of John McEvoy's mysteries--okay, but they didn't hook me enough to go through them all, and then a couple of Toni Leland's--same.

So, off horse mysteries and rereading again (I'm one of those "voracious" readers), went through Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch mysteries. If you like outdoorsy mysteries like Nevada Barr and C. J. Box, you'd probably like these. Can't be squeamish about "nature red of tooth and claw."

Done with rereading for a while, so as a complete change I tried Lisa Boero's first Lady Althea mystery, which I think was recommended in KB's Book Corner. KU. It's a historical mystery set in Regency times or maybe just before. There's a second one of these available. I think they'd suit fans of Georgette Heyer better than me. Well written but kind of slow and stately like that time actually was. Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series is more my kind of thing.

Needless to say, being a voracious reader is difficult when you're also picky.

RobertLCollins

• Flash Fiction unlocked
  • I write science fiction & fantasy
    • One Kansas Author
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »
Over the past few days I re-read Expecting Someone Taller and Who's Afraid of Beowulf, both by Tom Holt. I read them when they first came out. I decided to re-read them to get into a good frame of mind for a project I've started. Both are light fantasy with classic myths meeting the modern world. The first is about the Ring Cycle, while the other is about Viking Sagas. They both have sudden endings, though I still feel that the one in the first novel just feels better. They're both fun reads, though not as funny as I remembered.

I'm going to pause reading for a bit and do some watching to keep me in the right frame of mind... :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2019, 11:40:25 PM »
Just finished listening to Lady Fortescue Steps Out, first in The Poor Relations series by M.C. Beaton. Davina Porter narrated which is why I wanted to listen to this one. She never disappoints.