Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 42556 times)

Anarchist

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #500 on: September 13, 2020, 02:54:48 AM »
Speaking of Man of Steel, Zack Snyder is one of those directors that I really want to like, especially after Watchmen (loved it). But he keeps swinging and missing.

I feel the same, though the jabs at Joss Whedon during this whole Snyder Cut affair tarnish it some for me.

But he's got a great eye. Watchmen missed the mark a little for me because he seemed to overlook the far from subtle subtext of the source, but Dawn of the Dead and 300 both kind of blew me away. Even Sucker Punch had some unforgettable imagery, but boy did it expose his weaknesses as a storyteller that have dogged everything he's made since.

I remember thinking during the Snyder-Whedon kerfuffle "Dude, you've got chops, but your dressing down Whedon is like Shia LaBeouf dressing down Denzel Washington."

You're right about Snyder ignoring some important themes in Watchmen. I was just so happy to finally see it on the big screen (longtime Alan Moore fan) that I was ready to applaud anything that got it half-right.

I forgot Snyder did Dawn of the Dead. That WAS a good flick (thanks to you and PJ Post for the reminder).

Funny that you mention Sucker Punch. I've debated watching it several times. Part of me wants to just to give Snyder another chance. But I keep hearing bad things about the film. Your comment certainly doesn't get me excited about watching it. lol

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics. Thomas Sowell

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

PJ Post

« Reply #501 on: September 13, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
Sucker Punch is misunderstood by lots of folks, many of whom tend to be quite vocal about it. It's like Inception, multiple levels and the literary toolbox is blown wide open - Chekhov's everything. You really have to pay attention. The narrative is there, but it's not a typical Hollywood story - it's complicated and kind of messy. It's more social commentary than anything else.

Don't get me wrong, people can understand it just fine and still hate it, that's the nature of the beast, but you can usually tell when someone doesn't as soon as they start talking.

It's definitely worth the watch. I liked it. While we're on the subject, I liked Watchmen too.

:shrug

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

notthatamanda

« Reply #502 on: September 13, 2020, 10:08:04 PM »
Last night we watched "Broken Flowers" with Bill Murray. It was free, had good ratings, we like Bill Murray and we recently watched "Rock the Casbah" which we laughed a lot at. This movie, wow, just so bad. They didn't solve the mystery at the end which was the only reason we hung in there. One scene was just Bill sitting in his living room. As opposed to several other scenes of him sitting there watching TV. Scenes of him driving, sitting on a plane. They actually hired an actress (I recognized her from the end of the movie "Hitch" to sit next to him, pretending to sleep, for one scene on the plane.) A couple of times when he was sitting on the plane he dreamed about things that already happened. Lots of him driving alone and playing the CD of Ethiopian music his friend had given him. My husband got really sick of the music but he didn't mind the full frontal and full back-al nudity that contributed absolutely nothing to the plot other than "Hey boobs!"

Anarchist

« Reply #503 on: September 14, 2020, 12:17:20 AM »

A terrific little gem. It's tragicomedy released on a micro-budget ($200K). It's uncomfortable, but mesmerizing.

Currently on Amazon Prime.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics. Thomas Sowell

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC