Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 115679 times)

Lynn

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1800 on: November 08, 2020, 01:46:13 AM »
205 yesterday

I finally seem to be getting back into a groove with writing, although my word counts remain low. I'm finding myself having to re-read large swaths of my stories and make changes as I go because I'm not in the same headspace I was when I started them. But at least I'm writing again. :)
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1801 on: November 08, 2020, 03:34:50 AM »
I've been struggling with this novel (HW4) recently, so yesterday I did 500 on HW4 and 1500 on the next book in a different series. It was so much fun writing the opening chapter of Conundrum in Gold I almost switched them permanently.

Last night I sat down and plotted the next bit of HW4 though, and once I did that it started flowing again.

Not that I'm writing tonight.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1802 on: November 10, 2020, 06:35:39 AM »
I'm already excited for Conundrum and I haven't even read Enigma yet.

1208 today. Going to try really hard to do 5 days in a row this week, but no school Wednesday so we'll see.

Lynn

« Reply #1803 on: November 10, 2020, 07:09:37 AM »
1221 yesterday. Better than it's been in a while!
Don't rush me.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1804 on: November 10, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »
Over 2000 words yesterday.   :banana:

I've made some diet-and-exercise changes recently, and I think they've helped.  I've been sluggish and tired most of the year, but I'm starting to get some energy back.  My 2020 output has been abominable, so I'm really hoping that yesterday's word count signals a change for the better.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1805 on: November 10, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
Still plugging away.  I'm doing Nanowrimo so my min is 1700-something per day. I managed 3200 yesterday after a string of low-ish figures, and HW4 has definitely turned the corner now.

Agreed on the exercise - I've become a bit of a sloth since taking up writing again, and the easiest solution would be to just get on my bike for a quick 20 min ride each day.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1806 on: November 11, 2020, 05:12:32 AM »

I had planned to do more but kid needs a ride across town, to work on homework.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1807 on: November 11, 2020, 05:54:47 AM »
2000 today, plus 500 words of notes for a savage plot twist.  It means changing a few bits and pieces already written, but nothing too major.  I'm only glad the beta readers have only seen the first four chapters so far ;-)

notthatamanda

« Reply #1808 on: November 13, 2020, 05:41:51 AM »
979 today.

Maybe half way done with this chapter. Next chapter is going to be a happy one, so I am excited to get to it.

Lynn

« Reply #1809 on: November 14, 2020, 03:24:47 AM »
979 today.

Maybe half way done with this chapter. Next chapter is going to be a happy one, so I am excited to get to it.

I'm always more excited to write the unhappy chapters in my books. :D

I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. This week's words have been up across the board, with more time put in at the chair and computer. That's a good sign. It doesn't feel like a strain to sit for 4 hours and work at it after a run of days where even 15 minutes at the computer was enough to make me want to just give it all up because it felt too hard. :) Now I feel like a drama queen for all that angst. :D

S 1,221
M 769
T 609
W 1,326
T 879

I'm trying to do Nano, too, but as you can see, I'm pretty far off the mark of the daily word count!
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1810 on: November 14, 2020, 03:45:46 AM »
I feel like I am being mean to the characters by making bad things happen to them. But no conflict, no story, sigh.

499 today.

Lynn

« Reply #1811 on: November 14, 2020, 03:52:44 AM »
But no conflict, no story, sigh.

I've read stories like that. Or I should say, I've started reading stories like that. They don't last long on my ereader.

I'm really hoping to have my best day in a long while today. I'm working on finishing a short story that isn't nearly as short as it was supposed to be. Still, I have hope...
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1812 on: November 14, 2020, 04:33:11 AM »
Good luck!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1813 on: November 15, 2020, 07:58:41 AM »
Just under 2k.  I had no plot outline for this one, and I've managed to reach the 40k mark of a 55-60k novel without knowing exactly where it was going. (I always assume 'showdown with the big bad', but it's how to set it up and resolve it.)

notthatamanda

« Reply #1814 on: November 18, 2020, 01:57:31 AM »

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1815 on: November 18, 2020, 07:54:39 AM »
Going well!

About 2k today, and a great new character just inserted itself into the plot.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1816 on: November 20, 2020, 07:24:15 AM »
1214. And, and, I got my first preorder for it.  :banana: It's so immensely flattering that someone liked the first book enough to go ahead and commit to the second this far out.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1817 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
1214. And, and, I got my first preorder for it.  :banana: It's so immensely flattering that someone liked the first book enough to go ahead and commit to the second this far out.

That's great news!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books], idontknowyet

notthatamanda

« Reply #1818 on: November 20, 2020, 07:28:09 AM »
Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books], idontknowyet

notthatamanda

« Reply #1819 on: November 21, 2020, 06:30:05 AM »

Struggling with motivation to do anything today.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1820 on: November 24, 2020, 01:37:32 AM »

I got to figure out when I'm going to start cooking. The temptation to save it all for Thursday morning is pretty strong.

idontknowyet

« Reply #1821 on: November 24, 2020, 02:09:16 AM »

:banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books], notthatamanda

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1822 on: November 24, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
As an update, if anyone remembers me or, for that fact, cares, I finished March averaging 177.42 words per day.  I improved in April at 273.33 words per day, then went down in May to 246.13 and dropped further in June to 177.17.  Bounced back in July at 300/day, followed by August at 500/day.  Hit 815/day in September, but dropped to 600/day in October.  But, in October, I only wrote 1,200 words over two days because I finished the space opera.  Finally.

At any rate, the book was originally going to be around 50k, then 75k or 80k (who can remember anymore?), then 90k and, finally, I figured 125k maximum.

I was a bit off the mark there, ending the book at around 186k words.

At any rate, the book was \So, at the current rate, that's another 3-4 months before this book is complete.  It bears repeating that this was a book I started four and a half years ago with the improbable plan of finishing it in ten days.  LOL.

Was off the mark there too as it took about 7 months to complete rather than 3-4 months.

Presenting, I am working on two other novels.  Barely managing a handful of words each day.  Was doing better on the one, but started to stall when I reached the point where I realized I kind of need to rework the whole thing, except for the first two maybe three chapters which seem to work.  The other stalled out when I pretty much ended a chapter and haven't figured out where it's going from there.  So, basically, I tweak that chapter every day for the past couple weeks or more.

In the meantime, I am editing the space opera.  Finished the first run-through which was mainly for note-taking so I can watch for and check for any continuity errors as I go through a second pass.  About a third of the way through that second pass where I am doing the actual editing and fixing any errors previously noted.  Will likely need a third pass-through as a final check on continuity.  Spending five years writing a novel means you sometimes forget what already happened or what tech was available or what the interior of the ship looked like.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1823 on: November 24, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »
Welcome back. Good luck with the editing.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1824 on: November 24, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »
Welcome back!

I've had two dire writing days, but they both followed dire nights of very little sleep. I never try to write when I'm that tired - the result is usually drivel.

Hopefully today I can get a solid 2k in.  It's only 7.30am here and I've been up since 4, so writing time starts soon.

Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, and Suspense
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #1825 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:53 AM »
Congrats to everyone on the word counts!

Welcome back, Dan!!!

I've been working on my website and doing research on a new series and some editing.  I don't really count any of that as writing...although it's all a part of the process and the business.

I plan to start my next WWII short story in a few days.  Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

idontknowyet

« Reply #1826 on: November 24, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »
As an update, if anyone remembers me or, for that fact, cares, I finished March averaging 177.42 words per day.  I improved in April at 273.33 words per day, then went down in May to 246.13 and dropped further in June to 177.17.  Bounced back in July at 300/day, followed by August at 500/day.  Hit 815/day in September, but dropped to 600/day in October.  But, in October, I only wrote 1,200 words over two days because I finished the space opera.  Finally.

At any rate, the book was originally going to be around 50k, then 75k or 80k (who can remember anymore?), then 90k and, finally, I figured 125k maximum.

I was a bit off the mark there, ending the book at around 186k words.

At any rate, the book was \So, at the current rate, that's another 3-4 months before this book is complete.  It bears repeating that this was a book I started four and a half years ago with the improbable plan of finishing it in ten days.  LOL.

Was off the mark there too as it took about 7 months to complete rather than 3-4 months.

Presenting, I am working on two other novels.  Barely managing a handful of words each day.  Was doing better on the one, but started to stall when I reached the point where I realized I kind of need to rework the whole thing, except for the first two maybe three chapters which seem to work.  The other stalled out when I pretty much ended a chapter and haven't figured out where it's going from there.  So, basically, I tweak that chapter every day for the past couple weeks or more.

In the meantime, I am editing the space opera.  Finished the first run-through which was mainly for note-taking so I can watch for and check for any continuity errors as I go through a second pass.  About a third of the way through that second pass where I am doing the actual editing and fixing any errors previously noted.  Will likely need a third pass-through as a final check on continuity.  Spending five years writing a novel means you sometimes forget what already happened or what tech was available or what the interior of the ship looked like.
Missed you big time--- though with all the name change i didnt know it was you.

Welcome back!!!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1827 on: November 24, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »
...I finished the space opera.  Finally.

Congratulations!  And welcome back.  :)
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1828 on: November 24, 2020, 11:31:37 PM »
2500 today.  About 4500 left to finish Nanowrimo 2020, and about 8k left to finish this novel.  Into the big boss battle tomorrow.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1829 on: November 25, 2020, 05:20:41 AM »
1544 - Very powerful chapter I think. Backstory on MC something that happened in her childhood that really shaped certain events as she got older. I didn't even know what had happened until today.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1830 on: November 25, 2020, 07:28:28 AM »
I didn't even know what had happened until today.

That describes my novel-writing process nicely.